Author Topic: Is this a william and mary CandleStand Table The feet look similar to others.  (Read 3779 times)

Kingofthekats

• View Profile

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
No, isn't, at least not period American, possibly english though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:52:33 am by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
A couple of american W&M candlestands

jacon4

• View Profile
What claims is period english with feet similar to yours, if you notice, the central turning is doweled into a block at base with feet attached to block. Your stand has feet attached directly into central post .
http://www.onlinegalleries.com/art-and-antiques/detail/william-and-mary-period-walnut-candle-stand/229426
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:55:33 am by jacon4 »

Kingofthekats

• View Profile
So do you think this is English from William and Mary period 1690s?

jacon4

• View Profile
No, i do not, the construction is "wrong". Is it possible that this is a country version that is in period, it's possible i guess, almost anything is really. Generally speaking, the legs attaching directly to the central column did not occur until the Queen Anne period (just after W&M) and, they were usually attached with dovetails into the column with an iron brace on the bottom. I am speaking of American construction here, hopefully someone who is familiar with english pieces will stop by and offer some insight.
Where are all the Limeys today?
I would guess this is a 19th century or later repro. of an english W&M candle stand
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:48:41 am by jacon4 »

Ipcress

• View Profile
I'd say later than W & M, possibly 19th, and might have been through the trade a few times.

jacon4

• View Profile
And there we have it! Ipcress is in GB so he should know. Your stand just doesn't have the construction details one normally sees in period W&M stuff on either side of the pond. You didn't say where you are, where you got it, etc. which would help in evaluation of your stand

mart

• View Profile
Its sure been somewhere !!  I would just call this an English Country candle stand !!  Its not enough of any style to say it is one !! 1st half of 19th century  hard to get it any closer than that !!  The thickness and weight would tell me its a country piece !!  It lacks the refinement of period stands !! Just my little ole` opinion !!

Kingofthekats

• View Profile
Thank you everyone for your answers very informative, I got this in Pennsylvania

jacon4

• View Profile
Candle stands were not produced in the US after about 1830, they were just not stable enough to support whale oil lamps which gave people real "light" for the first time in human history. Four legged "light stands", now called work stands  came into being during the sheraton and hepplewhite period or federal period here in the USA and candle stands went nite nite so to speak. They were just to dangerous in the age of whale oil and then later, kerosene lamps.

jacon4

• View Profile
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, pennsylvania, that makes sense! The turning is heavy, typical of PA. german work in the 18th -19th centuries. Your stand could very well be an american federal era candle stand made right there in ol' PA. in the style of W&M.

Kingofthekats

• View Profile
That is awesome thank you so much, what would the value if genuine, a federal candle stand table be?

jacon4

• View Profile
Well, not a lot, they simply do not have much function in today's world, is it walnut? it looks like walnut. I would guess $200-$300 in todays market. 19th century 4 legged work stands don't bring much more if any unless very well built with tiger maple or some other highly figured wood in which case considerably more.

mart

• View Profile
Didn`t think about that Jacon4 !!  But you are right,, sure could be !!