Author Topic: Ship grate tables  (Read 2976 times)

Tammy

• View Profile
Ship grate tables
« on: March 26, 2016, 02:31:40 pm »

Flashback

• View Profile
Re: Ship grate tables
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 03:47:45 pm »
Any advice on whether to refinish or not and value would be much appreciated. Thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 07:29:07 pm »
These are not that old but still I would not refinish !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 09:06:13 pm »
I have seen this style popular in the late 1980's to early 1990's - and these look as if they could be from that time.

I wouldn't refinish either.  Unless you are seeing something that we aren't able to in the pictures.  In my neck of the woods these would sell for tops $150 - 180.  Average would be $100.  (all three)

If you custom ordered a ship grate table you would pay a pretty penny. However, if you are an individual selling these (and is there any way to see if they were custom made and/or would genuine ship grates - from the pics they don't appear as so) you just aren't going to get what a store can sell them for.  :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:10:17 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Flashback

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 10:27:07 pm »
Thanks guys first thing.
Your right early 80's. Late 70's. They are authentic ships grates. My dad built our 5000 sq foot tudor home in about 76 or so and he owned a big scrap metal yard and loved brass and had a thing for nautical antiques and vintage bordeaux wines! I just am almost finished with the wines auctioning through winebid.com 61 lafite rothchilds(12) cases of each first growths 61 to 66, all the various desirable wines. But all his antique instruments and equipment were authentic, he got four dog portholes from a friend who broke ships and mounted them in walnut doors in the game room, it had the tables pictured, harpoons helmits boots benacles etc. i have two authentic brass large ships bells, he even had two beautiful line throwing guns one looked copper w brass rings one more ornate all brass or bronze, a a brother got those though. I have waterford crystal and quite a few shelly tea cups w out saucers, (lost in confusion somehow. Also more furniture.  But the tables are heavy, genuine and originally cost a fortune any revised figures considering that KC. I really appreciate your help and value your opinions ive read back your posts and like what i see.

Flashback

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 10:31:50 pm »
im in no way saying they couldnt be reproduction im sure about how long we had them, id allways believed they were genuine, how could i check?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 02:48:56 pm »
Did your Dad make the tables or were they purchased as they are ??  When we question if a piece is authentic it is because we can not always tell by looking at pics !!  That information in your last post would have helped !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:33:57 pm »
Can you please post a pic of the undersides?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Flashback

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 10:39:47 pm »
definatly KC i took a whole bunch yesterday of the grates undersides as well as took hardware off the hutch and found numbers n markings the hutch was signed all over in pencil and another big i guess its burned like drawers were but bigger. Im going to be next door to Tammy my pic poster within an hour hopefully well get those up tonight.  Thanks again Im learning slowly but surly. My dad bought the tables probably in San Francisco bay area. We are in the scrap metal business and a friend of his was involved in breaking ships somewhere he gave dad three nice 4 dog portholes that dad mounted on heavy oak doors. Were still cleaning out the house and horse trading each other for things we want. Im going to try and do some swapping of crystal waterford for the portholes/doors and three really nice surgical lamps off a ship, genuine. A;; the line guns, benacles, full speed ahead things fog horns diving gear, lights and instrument have allready been claimed we have 9 kids and mom actually downsized from 5000 sq ft tudor w guest house n stables to smaller spot and were all hashing it out pretty amicably.  He put heavy timber gates with ships bells or iron bells at 4 spots too, nice ones still available I have one from if i can spell from memory the Hogeh Arrow (correct spelling)and there are extensive construction pics avail due to its record breaking size at the time, 5000 people attended the launch in 1950 she was a tanker till 72. Still trying to price it as well.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 07:17:07 am »
Wow Flashback!  Sounds like you had a fascinating childhood!  I would have loved to have seen pics of all! Sounds like a true treasure trove!  Glad you are all working so well together redistributing!  Its so important to keep family together at times like these!  Kudos!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:19:51 am by Jlsherf »
I should have been born in another era!

Tammy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:44:54 am »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 10:08:03 am »
Now....those underside pics are where you get the age/character of the pieces.  This is where you can tell from the pics that they are "re-loved" pieces of the past!!!!  If you keep information on the ships with the piece it helps with value (the more popular the ship the more $$).

The large table being sold by an individual you can reasonably get $400 - $700 and the smaller ones $200 - $300.

Flashback

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 01:56:58 am »
Thanks again KC!