Author Topic: Porcelain Candelabra, Cupid hammering a heart  (Read 3345 times)

capnbirdseye

• View Profile
Porcelain Candelabra, Cupid hammering a heart
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:09:05 am »
Can anyone identify this candelabra, it's been in our family a long time but we have no idea of it's maker, there is a mark on the base

Ipcress

• View Profile
Re: Porcelain Candelabra, Cupid hammering a heart
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 01:24:21 pm »
Coburg porcelain factory. Google or search eBay and you'll see similar items.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 01:35:15 pm »
http://stein-collectors.org/library/articles/Schierholz/Schierholz.html

I was shocked to find this mark !!  Usually it takes a long time to track doun such an obscure mark with nothing more to go on !!  The mark was used by the Schierholz porcelain factory !!  The stein collectors in the link tracked it down and have an excellent bit of history to read about !!  It was used late 19th century and 20th century but the govt. refused to register the mark for fear it could be mistaken for Meissen`s crossed swords mark which was already registered !! They later adopted a three oak leaf mark and a few others as time went on !!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 02:45:53 pm »
It was used by a few factories but I know it most for Coburg. Schierholz was leaves and a shield and their double hashtag was thin.

What does the candelabra look like?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 04:15:54 pm »
http://www.figurines-sculpture.com/double-crossed-lines-on-a-an-urn-can-you-tell-me-whose-pottery-mark-this-is.html

Here is another reference,, this one defines as both down. two over like a tic tac toe mark or two down one over and one under !!  Even more confusing when you get to thick or thin lines !!

capnbirdseye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 03:09:55 am »
Thank you all for replies,

I can't find a candelabra like this one mentioned for this maker however,  the candelabra has damage unfortunately, my Grandmother was a maid in a wealthy doctors house before the 1st world war, she broke the candelabra & some other items during her years there & they gave her the damaged items it seems.

There is an impressed stamp 363 on the base which may be a catalogue number ?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:14:49 am by capnbirdseye »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 08:56:38 am »
Not a catalogue number,, it is a shape or mold number !! Useful only to the mfr that made it !!

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 02:31:48 pm »

Neither Ferdinand Kaule, E. Speiser, Kuhnle & Hoffmann, nor Albert Riemann used such a mark. Sadly this hollow "Coburg" ID template for such a mark is just as irremovable from people's brains as the constantly incorrect "Schaefer & Vater" ID for certain unmarked figures, or other nonsense like "Coburg-Dresden", "Meissen-Volkstedt" and such.

Hold in mind that what appears logical to you sounds in my ears like people claiming that a given Roseville item was made "by Boston-New York", plain nonsense. Wherever you heard it originally (oldandsold website?), please ignore it in future.

So no, that mark is not "Coburg", nor was it used by any factory located there. In fact it has nothing to do with Coburg at all.
----------
http://www.figurines-sculpture.com/double-crossed-lines-on-a-an-urn-can-you-tell-me-whose-pottery-mark-this-is.html

Here is another reference,, this one defines as both down. two over like a tic tac toe mark or two down one over and one under !!  Even more confusing when you get to thick or thin lines !!

The mark shown at the top there is an Asian repro; it's also frequently seen as 'VIENNA' or 'AUSTRIA' version.
----------

The candelabra shown here was produced by the von Schierholz factory from the town of Plaue in Thuringia; shown mark type was used between 1890 and 1900. It can also be found with 'PLAUE' addition (used 1880-1906).

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 04:13:56 pm »
You mean I actually got one right Chris ?? (reply #2)  Good to see you back on this forum !!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:15:50 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 07:57:28 pm »
Thanks for popping in Christ Marshall and helping clear this up!  Hope all is well with you!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 09:16:18 am »

Neither Ferdinand Kaule, E. Speiser, Kuhnle & Hoffmann, nor Albert Riemann used such a mark. Sadly this hollow "Coburg" ID template for such a mark is just as irremovable from people's brains as the constantly incorrect "Schaefer & Vater" ID for certain unmarked figures, or other nonsense like "Coburg-Dresden", "Meissen-Volkstedt" and such.

Hold in mind that what appears logical to you sounds in my ears like people claiming that a given Roseville item was made "by Boston-New York", plain nonsense. Wherever you heard it originally (oldandsold website?), please ignore it in future.

So no, that mark is not "Coburg", nor was it used by any factory located there. In fact it has nothing to do with Coburg at all.
----------

The mark shown at the top there is an Asian repro; it's also frequently seen as 'VIENNA' or 'AUSTRIA' version.
----------

The candelabra shown here was produced by the von Schierholz factory from the town of Plaue in Thuringia; shown mark type was used between 1890 and 1900. It can also be found with 'PLAUE' addition (used 1880-1906).

I heard it 16 years ago from someone who appraises items on the Antiques Roadshow. They might be wrong but as I've met that person and know their background I'll stick with them.
It's not a particularly well made figurine so I didn't check any reference books.

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 03:27:30 pm »
I heard it 16 years ago from someone who appraises items on the Antiques Roadshow. They might be wrong but as I've met that person and know their background I'll stick with them.
It's not a particularly well made figurine so I didn't check any reference books.

The names of the different businesses in Coburg were already mentioned above. Checking out the businesses located in and around Coburg is a logical consequence of people wanting to find out more and the result thereof once again proves that the quality of certain AR opinions is far overrated. Just like their evaluations, but that's a different matter.

I prefer official sources of information like the German Patent and Marks Office, local museums, or the manufacturers themselves. Fact is that no manufacturer in or around Coburg used such a mark as shown here, thus the item can not be "Coburg". You on the other hand may of course stick to hear-say ;)