Author Topic: My $30 North Wind (or Green Man?) Rocking Chair  (Read 12460 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
My $30 North Wind (or Green Man?) Rocking Chair
« on: April 15, 2016, 11:37:06 am »
Hi everyone, my name is Tales and I'm a *sob!* ...a rockaholic!

Yes it's true, I bought another antique rocking chair. It was the last thing I needed, but it was love at first sight and for $30 I couldn't say no to this one. Who could resist that wonderful face? It has issues and plenty of them, so I would love to get some input and advice on the best ways to address them.

My first question is this- Is that the North Wind or Green Man carved into the headrest? I lean toward green man because those look like oak leaves at the bottom, but I think the North Wind is more common on furniture? Please advise on this, see the photos below.

So here's what I know about it. It belonged to the seller's great-grandmother. I would estimate that he was in his thirties. He said it dated to at least 1900, probably earlier. I'm going to guess 1880s or 1890s, but please provide some input here as all of you have much more expertise than I do on this. He said that he knew nothing else about its history, other than that it had come from Sacramento.

Although it has not been refinished, it has been treated badly. Very badly. To illustrate this, allow me to share a few choice quotes from my conversation with the seller. Brace yourselves:

Me: "What a lovely old thing it is!"
Seller: "Really?"
Me: "Oh yes, it's great!"
Seller: "Are you going to refinish it?"
Me: "No, we like antiques just the way they are."
Seller: "Really?"
Me: "Yes."
Seller: "Well, the stain washes off with water"
Me: *shocked into silence*

On looking closely at the surface, it looks like the patina has been removed with soap and water. Although the original finish is there, it lacks the soft, sticky grunge patina that should be on top of it. I thought everyone on the planet had caught at least one episode of Antiques Roadshow by now, but apparently not.

Overall, the rocker is very solid, which makes it even more of a shame that it has the condition issues that it does. The backboard flexes and moves nicely in it's mountings when you rock in it, creaking and groaning loudly. (I love antiques that talk to you!) This is one of those chairs where you sit down it embraces you, and you can feel the wear from the years in it.

So here is what is wrong structurally. There are two old repairs that were done well and are stable: One rocker and the seat were cracked clear through and both were repaired long ago. The unaddressed issues are that the backboard has cracked in several places and I believe (please give opinions on the best way to address this) that I will likely need to inject wood glue into the cracks to stabilize them and prevent further damage. The end of one rocker was gnawed on by the seller's puppy. Not much I can do about that, other than to blend it in over time with some USP mineral oil.

Usually I feel that antiques should stay in the family they came from. In this case, I'm glad to rescue this one from the seller and his puppy from hell. I realize that this is one of those cases where there isn't much monetary value, but it's got age, charm and personality and I'd like to do a good job of stabilizing the cracks. The wood is dry and so it will get USP mineral oil to help with that. Thanks all for your help!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: My $30 North Wind (or Green Man?) Rocking Chair
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 11:54:55 am »
After looking at some other examples, I'm going to revise my guess to say that's the North Wind and not Green Man. He appears to be blowing and I saw some others that had leafy looking wind also. Do you agree?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 12:31:05 pm »
I would have rescued it too Tales!!!  Glad to see you back on and sharing your treasures!!!  Glad you rescued this beauty!  I think that was a great price even with the conditions stated.

I beg to differ!  The North Wind had facial hair/hair that resembled lifelike hair whereas the Green man's facial hair resembles leaves/natural items.  The Green Man originated from the Romans if I am correct and was related to the earth, religion, etc. 

North Wind Chairs were extremely popular in Victorian times and Renaissance Revival (which is the same time period I believe your chair could be from.)  He generally had an open mouth or puckered lips to "blow the evil spirits away". He also was characterized with a more sinister look to scare the spirits.(Aeolus/Greek Mythology,  But there were many others that were also carved during that time.  But with the leaves on the face...Green Man.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:33:27 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 12:39:54 pm »
Thanks for the welcome back KC! I've been here, just haven't really had a lot to contribute and this is the first thing I've had questions about for quite a while. Yup, this one definitely needed to be rescued! I can't imagine selling anything that had belonged to an ancestor for $30. Crazy.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 12:53:09 pm »
So Renaissance Revival, you're thinking more like 1850-1880 for the age? ;D Cool!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 01:44:45 pm »
I would stick with the 1880 to 1900 date !! Don`t think its earlier but then you can never be sure !!  That is a neat old chair !!  Has the splat separated from the crest or is it just the pic ?? Those little cracks are just from dry wood and are no problem !! Do not oil it until the repairs are made.  That rocker I would not even worry about !! Consider that part of its history !! I can not see where the patina has been removed by scrubbing !!  The hand rests show the perfect wear for many years of rocking and hands resting there !! I would not cover that up !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 01:59:27 pm »
I will check if the splat and crest are separated when I get home tonight. The splat goes up into the crest and looks like it is designed to flex and move with the rocker. The cracks go all the way through the splat and the whole board flexes, so I think they need to be stabilized or the whole piece may eventually split. I will get some detail pix of the cracks tonight. I agree on the finish being original and I love that it is worn off in places of wear. You can see that on the spindles, stretchers and on the top of the crest too. But what is missing is the patina that you can scratch off with a fingernail. This is the original finish, I'm sure of that, but it was cleaned, not refinished.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 04:57:58 pm »
What we call the patina can not be scratched off !!  The patina is the color of the wood itself as it ages naturally !! Only a finish can be scratched off !!  This chair likely had a coat of the old type varnish which can turn red/orange and will dry/crackle or just turn dark and flake off over the years !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 04:48:45 am »
Very nice, and a great find for $30.00. I'd go with KC's green man and Mart's date. This looks morel like the R. J. Horner-era Renaissance Revival as opposed to the Thomas Brooks era, i.e. 1890s instead of 1870s.

There are mild solutions you can get for evening out the finish without stripping it, if you should want to clean it up a bit.

Tales, I like what you said about antique items staying in the family.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 03:29:38 pm »
Good score for your $30 , talesof !

I like the shrinkage on the back piece !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 06:06:37 pm »
Here are some pics of the cracks to the splat. They are BAD and go all the way through, but are not beyond repair. The hard part will be getting the glue down in deep. The plan is to first try to do it without removing the crest, and see if the wood glue holds. The breaks to the seat and the rail were also bad and went all the way through, but the repairs are good and they should not be a problem. This poor old chair has had some rough treatment!

I'm glad to know that the finish wasn't damaged too much by being scrubbed. I guess I used the wrong term when I said that the patina had been removed. The oxidation to the original finish is there and intact. What's missing the build up of dirt, wax and oil that I would expect to find in deep crevasses.

I love the wear from all the hands getting up and down over the years and want to leave that just as it is. My goal on this is to stabilize it so that it can give me years of service, but to leave it in as much of its original condition as possible. Just to strengthen it so that it can enjoy a gentle retirement.

It was interesting posting the pictures on Facebook, everyone loves the face, but some were frightened by similar pieces when they were children.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 08:10:31 pm »
There's the old-timers' trick of using Elmers carpenters glue , thinned down with about 40% water , for getting it into joints that one might not wish to split apart to glue .... it's o.k. to be sloppy with excess glue , as long as it gets wiped-up with water while wet .

You can also use a vacuum cleaner hose w/o a nozzle (and maybe a damp cotton rag over it , to make a fair 'seal') applied to the underside of a cracked-through piece of wood (in a horizontal position) , in conjunction with thinned carpenters glue .
It usually works quite fast & coats the inside of wood surfaces one cannot see (sometimes it also sets up capillary action & will 'suck' the glue through the cracks , or otherwise allow it to flow) !

There's always drilling small 1/16" holes to inject glue (with a hypodermic , or similar device) into 'deep' areas , which will require patching the hole afterwards (a crayon is sometimes used for this , for dirty & cheap & functional repairs in fairly 'untrod-upon' areas) .

Have your clamping jigs set-up & ready to go first , though ...

Looks like a great project !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 08:23:38 pm »
Oh what a great idea! That's exactly what this ol' guy needs. Thx Fancy I will post a follow-up!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 08:09:26 am »
Just go to your local feed store and get a syringe and several sizes of needles !!  Be sure to leave the clamps on at least 24 hours for good set and use a good brand of glue !!  You have some wiggle room with wood glue so start at the top of those lengthwise cracks and give the glue 5 or 10 minutes to let it run down !! Clean the excess like Fancy said after you put the clamps on !!  I would check about an hour or two after you clamp it to make sure it has not slid and all the edges meet  as they should !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 08:38:55 am »
Xlnt ideas will do! Thanks a million Mart and Fancy