Author Topic: One Last "Tool"  (Read 3828 times)

mxyplqx

• View Profile
One Last "Tool"
« on: April 18, 2016, 11:57:03 am »
Then a regular antique.
The pic says it all. Can’t tell you a thing about it.

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: One Last "Tool"
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 12:13:33 pm »
Sure looks like a 'clamp' that would be used in a woodworking bench ... tap it (with a hammer) into the square hole in the bench to 'tighten down' the clamp for whatever part/jig it's needed for .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:57:41 pm »
How big ??

mxyplqx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:21:52 pm »
The short leg is 4-5/32”
The long sharp leg is 6-23/32”
The shaft is 13/32” square.
All dimensions +_ 1/64”

Hope that pins it down. :-)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 05:33:18 pm »
No clue !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 02:22:25 pm »
First of all...SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!  Not the last tool!?!  Not the last "what is it"?!?!  Sooooo sad!

Resembles this old one that someone else didn't know what it was and never got an answer for either!  :)

I am leaning toward a "locking" piece to adjust moveable pieces.  That or a unusual punch!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:32:39 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mxyplqx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 04:15:29 pm »
I’ve got some you can work on but they are identified.

Examining ’my’ right angle spike I notice the inside surface of the square shank is banged up way more than any other. This suggests the spike end was imbedded into something, presumably wood, and was then hammered back out. That suggests further, at least to me, that it would have been part of a hand held device maybe a short pike pole type of implement to swing to grab then pull.

Still it would have to be held to the handle and there are no signs of set screw or similar holding marks.  And if you ever worked in a saw mill there’s lots better tools for grabbing and pulling then this thing. So the above is just a guess.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 05:42:26 pm »
First of all...SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!  Not the last tool!?!  Not the last "what is it"?!?!  Sooooo sad!

Resembles this old one that someone else didn't know what it was and never got an answer for either!  :)

I am leaning toward a "locking" piece to adjust moveable pieces.  That or a unusual punch!

How big was this one KC ??  It looks like an old square barn nail that was bent !!  I have one here somewhere I found in the pasture where the old barn was. Its about 8 inches long !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 05:42:40 am »

KC, I believe that picture is one of an  old "cut" nail. Or it could be called a "spike".

I use to have a collection of them in my "spare parts" supply that measured from 1/2" in length up to 9" 0r 10" in length. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 05:53:30 am »

Examining ’my’ right angle spike I notice the inside surface of the square shank is banged up way more than any other. This suggests the spike end was imbedded into something, presumably wood, and was then hammered back out.

Hammering it "back out" would be kinda tricky to do, ...... wouldn't it? ;) ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 06:00:07 am »
Considering where your hand would have to be,, yes Cogar !!

mxyplqx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 07:33:27 am »
Easy.

PS
Not trying to defend my observation just hoping it might jog somebody. I’ve tried Googling Teeth and Spikes like climbing spikes not much luck. Manure spreader teeth. Bucket teeth. Baler teeth. Hate to give up - this stuff gets to you doesn’t it?

Maybe tines would be better.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:02:05 am by mxyplqx »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 09:31:22 am »
Easy.

PS
Not trying to defend my observation just hoping it might jog somebody. I’ve tried Googling Teeth and Spikes like climbing spikes not much luck. Manure spreader teeth. Bucket teeth. Baler teeth. Hate to give up - this stuff gets to you doesn’t it?

Maybe tines would be better.

I was even thinking a "Wooden Drag Tooth", but I've never seen one with that right angle design.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 11:19:06 am »
Maybe it is a special made "hardie tool" …. for use in a “hardie hole”?    ;D ;D

Read about hardie holes here: http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/anvils/hardy_holes.php

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 09:18:08 am »
Mart, to answer your question, have no idea on the one I found a pic of.  Was on some forum that noone answered years ago without any references.  They just asked "what is it" and "what was it used for". 

Hmmmm
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!