Author Topic: A Regular Antique  (Read 2705 times)

mxyplqx

• View Profile
A Regular Antique
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:23:17 am »
What can you tell me about this lamp? It is 13" high.

It may be the same one Ben Franklin used after he invented electricity so he could write his auto bibliography before switching to daylight saving time.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:25:19 am by mxyplqx »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: A Regular Antique
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 03:11:26 pm »
Your lamp looks "arts n' crafty" to me ...... so be sure to check carefully for a "signature".

Rauville

• View Profile

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 09:48:27 am »
Sure is !!  I would agree with that !!

mxyplqx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 01:25:16 pm »

There’s 2 parts to this story. Here’s the first.

I’ve had this lamp since before I was born (1935). No idea how old it really is. I’m the last one so nobody to ask. We lived in Minneapolis and presumably it was originally purchased there.
The one in the link is located in St Paul MN so that adds up.

Seller in the link guesses circa 1910-20 and I know it’s from at least 1935 so that sort of adds up.

The plug on the right in my pic is, I think, the original. It looks identical to the plug in the link.  So that adds up.

Plug on left, again I think, is the replacement. I had to rewire the lamp in about 1950. Probly did not use the original plug because the insulator was shot. Maybe I ruined it. It was paper and not easy to remove w/o damage. I see now the prongs are a bit loose on their rivets so maybe I decided it was unsafe.

The original wire was insulated with rubber which was further covered with an old fashioned fuzzy cloth type cover material. Same as shown and described in the link so that also adds up.

The wire in the link is in bad shape too and that adds up.

The wire in mine is routed thru a hole in the base - the link, no.

The switch is the same. Patina the same.

I see no identifiable markings on the linked lamp in the base. Mine, however, does have base markings nearly all legible. Under the base (mine) I believe it says PATENT PENDING. Also the word ‘Gold.’ There are letters above the ‘Gold’ all of which I cannot make out. Looks like it is: Noº XXX  463? 483?

No signature apparent to my untrained eye.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:29:29 pm by mxyplqx »

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 04:16:31 pm »
Your photo shows a Leviton light paddle switch. This is info about the company. They started in 1906 making gas light tips, then pull chain electric light switches, so safe to say your paddle switch is @ 1910-1920.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=37581

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mxyplqx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 06:09:15 pm »

Here’s the rest of my story - had to type it up.

I had kept this lamp when I sold out the family home. About 15 or 12 years ago I was walking thru our house when I glanced at the TV. Antiques Road Show was on and they were showing a pic of their last appraisal with the price. I had only the briefest of looks maybe 1/10 second and it was gone. It was this lamp.  The price was 4 figures! I was absolutely stunned!

I tried several times to locate it in the Road Show archives with no luck. Tried other things too.  One time at the library there was a book about old lamps.  No discernable method of organization.  700+ pages. I guess you were supposed to just spend half your life paging thru so I gave up.

Finally I just put a note in the socket for my kids to be sure and have it appraised by a trustworthy appraiser because it might be quite valuable.

So! Is it or isn’t it?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 06:57:00 pm »
Is it copper? bronze?

I know they did one on a Dirk Van Erp Lamp but this isn't one.

It's an odd mix of acanthus leaves (French Influence) and solid shade (Arts & Crafts). 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:58:40 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 08:07:38 pm »
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/search_results.html?q=arts+and+crafts+lamps&x=8&y=13

The patent pending would be for a design patent to keep people from copying exactly !! Look through their list of arts and crafts lamps they have appraised and see if you see the one you are talking about !!  Its a lot of pages but they have thumbnail pics !!

mxyplqx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 07:51:04 am »
I will look thru that site as I get time; let you know. Might be a couple days.

The lamp is all magnetic except the little stove bolts that hold the handle to the shade and of course the socket. So otherwise no copper or bronze.

mxyplqx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 07:55:39 pm »
I give up.