Author Topic: mahogany tilt top pie crust table  (Read 10819 times)

Jlsherf

• View Profile
Re: mahogany tilt top pie crust table
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 09:53:50 am »
KC that is awesome!  I would love to spend a day with Joanna!  How great you got to hear her speak!  You sure can tell they are Christians from their show!
I should have been born in another era!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 09:37:02 am »
Late to this thread but, these were tea tables that came first into being during the Chippendale era . The best examples were built in Philadelphia & Virginia and were  complex & difficult to build. A 3 foot in diameter by 2 inch thick piece of wood was first turned on a lathe to "dish" it out & the edge was carved into the "pie crust". The "bird cage" beneath the top served 2 functions, you could tilt the top up vertically for storage and, in the table position the top  turned in a "lazy susan" fashion to serve tea.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 09:46:28 am »
Here is a period Philadelphia example that sold for 6.7 million

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 11:25:37 am »
Its quite a piece but out of my financial category !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 12:11:26 pm »
Oh yeah, is for most but, you can get a nice period example in the 10k-15k range which, ain't exactly cheap either but much more affordable than millions. This is formal type furniture which most can't fit or place well in today's homes. Not exactly the kind of piece you want the grand kids sitting around!

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/card-tables-tea-tables/chippendale-pie-crust-tilt-top-table/id-f_1092084/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 01:36:49 pm »
Or sitting drinks on !!  I can just see all the water rings I would have !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 09:21:46 am »
Totally agree.  The mahogany original pieces are COLLECTIBLE!!!!

Most tilt tips were made in mass production (and still being made) and still nice but not to the tune of the collectible pieces in value!

Jacon4, I personally haven't seen one that would rotate like a lazy susan.  That would take some artistry/skill and they would be well worth much more!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 04:22:00 pm »
Hey KC, period ones do rotate, a nice feature for serving if you are having a tea party with cream/milk, sugar, biscuits,cakes, etc. In this link which i posted above for a 15k period table, there are 7 pics, if you click through them, you will see one with the top of table off and a large dowel that top rotates around..

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/card-tables-tea-tables/chippendale-pie-crust-tilt-top-table/id-f_1092084/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 05:20:21 pm »
You know,,(don`t say anything Jacon4) for 6.7 mil. you would think they could afford a bit of lemon oil on it !!  Looks dry and dusty !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 06:27:43 pm »
why cant i say anything! Here is an article about a related tea table that mentions the above posted 6 million table. What do these 2 philly tea tables have in common? The carver, no one knows who he was, he is referred to as the "Garvan Carver" because his work was first discovered in the Garvan collection. There are 30 pieces known at this time that were carved by this guy who worked in Philadelphia around 1750. KILLER workmanship no doubt. Below is a pic of another garvan carved table in the article that was sold just after the 6 million table, interesting article about events that happened long ago.
http://www.nysun.com/arts/honey-please-use-a-coaster/69550/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:14:53 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 07:20:21 pm »
I meant, don`t say anything about me wanting to put a little lemon oil on it !!   :D  Now that last one is what they should look like !! 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:26:11 pm by mart »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 01:51:43 am »
LOL, well, they were both carved by the same man, the difference? The 6 million table has it's original finish which is very rare for a piece that old. It offers  a chance to examine how a finish was formulated and applied in the 1750s. But yes, aside from the academic research involved, i'd rather have the tea table with the newer finish as it shows what the builder intended his table to look like.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 11:30:39 am »
I would add that as attractive as those period pie crust tea tables are, they do not hold the record price for an American tea table, that belongs to the Brown family tea table built by John Goddard, Newport RI about 1760. This little cutie sold for 8.4 million and, i kinda doubt there will be many tea parties served on it!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 11:47:16 am »
Now you are talking Jacon4 !!  Love his work !!  Goddard/Townsend did fantastic furniture !! Just hard to tell who made what !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 10:01:31 pm »
I don't think there will be many tea parties on that as well!  :)  I do like the looks of it though!  Wonder if the top lifts off like a tray?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!