Author Topic: Bride Baskets....Hey Rauville!  (Read 2092 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Bride Baskets....Hey Rauville!
« on: May 16, 2016, 07:57:16 am »
Rauville....how about posting a photo of your recent bride basket purchase? We're fond of these things around Casa Ghopper. Here are a few photos: The two blue ones are by James Tufts of Boston and E. G. Weber of Brooklyn, NY. Any ideas on the pink and white one? It looks like 1890s-1910, but the cradle is unmarked.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:00:10 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Bride Baskets....Hey Rauville!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:36:18 am »
I'll have to try and raise my photographic skill level and get something posted. The frame on mine is by Meriden Britannia Company, sized to hold the wide based thumbprint cranberry bowl.
You have some nice examples of old glass, but I would be just guessing on the maker of your bowl right now.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 01:16:20 pm »
Ooooohhhhhhh, love the silver pieces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beauties!!! But I do have a question...  Would the last one be called "A Bridal Basket" since it doesn't have the "typical" basket handle?  Instead side handles like are called centerpieces, fruit bowls, ornate nut or candy dish would be places to look.  (I know they were considered that in the past but so many call them everything else these days.)  If I am not mistaken in the OLD catalogs they were listed as berry bowls or fruit bowls and later everything became a "brides basket".

Can you please add a close up of the inside flowers on the pink one? 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:40:03 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

msghopper1924

• Ms Ghopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 01:53:36 pm »
From SanDiego.com:
ANTIQUES AND COLLECTING       RALPH AND TERRY KOVEL

"Collectors are saying 'I do' to bride's bowls

Collectors sometimes give a new name to an old type of dish or kitchen utensil.

Sometimes the name, like "Depression glass," identifies an era. And sometimes the name, like "bride's basket," is a glamorous way to describe a form that's no longer made.

The old glass company catalogs did not list bride's bowls; they called them berry bowls or fruit bowls. Today, any colored-glass bowl held by a silver frame, often with a handle, is known as a bride's basket."

So it looks like, handle or not, the form is now called a bride's basket. OR.....handle or not, they could all be called bride's bowls. In both cases the name is new(ish), and evidently was not used by brides back in the day.

Of course from a purely functional standpoint, a piece with a handle/bale would function much better as a basket, while one without a handle would be better suited to sitting on a table, perhaps displaying a bouquet. So you're definitely right about that.

There is no painted decoration on the interior of the bowl, but there is some on the rim and on the outside. See photos:

Endeavor to Persevere!
-Chief Dan George

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 02:18:36 pm »
msghopper1924, totally agree.

This latest picture shows the beauty of the piece soooooo much better! 

Unmarked silver?

I LOVE that you haven't polished out the patina/details in the silver so that the pattern beautifully shows.  I have seen so many people polish out all the patina and results in just a overly shiny piece that doesn't show it's intended beauty.

What kind of silver polish do you use?  I got hooked on Hagerty Silver Foam and discovered the love for Silversmith's gloves for upkeep.  My work will be cut out for me when I unbox everything after floors/painting is done.  I should have lined the boxes with silver cloth but got lazy/in a hurry and will most likely pay for it later!  (I bought a bolt of it awhile back to line all drawers in buffets and sideboard.)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 04:00:27 pm »
We use the German Happisch Simichrome paste, which is probably the best you can get. It takes ALOT of elbow grease, but has the very best results. Also, Wright's is a more mass-market paste that does a very good job as well.

We like our silver bright (as God intended...:)) but leave a bit of the patina to show age and, as you say, keep every detail intact. It's kind of fine line, but worth it.

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 01:28:55 pm »
So the simichrome paste isn't harsh on the silver? 

I like it bright with patina as well.  However, on the older and worn pieces I have learned to love some of the tarnish (depending on where it is displayed such as the family room versus the formals).

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 01:44:45 pm »
I usually use Wright's, but will use Simichrome for tough cases. I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now, and have yet to notice any negative effects.

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:40:04 pm »
Going to try some on my heavily tarnished pieces!  Thanks!