Author Topic: Recent Garage Find, Vintage Timex Automatic Watch  (Read 1210 times)

iKokomo

• View Profile
Recent Garage Find, Vintage Timex Automatic Watch
« on: June 15, 2016, 02:09:21 pm »
We were cleaning the garage and inside an old suitcase we found a ton of neat things including this Timex automatic watch. When shaken, the watch still works.
I had a couple questions about this. What year is this watch / the history behind it? It was found in a suitcase with items from the 1940s-1960s.
My second question is, how to I measure the watch so I can purchase a new band for it so I can wear it?
Thanks a lot! Appreciate the help!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Recent Garage Find, Vintage Timex Automatic Watch
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:24:17 pm »
Neat old watch !!  I haven one similar,, mine is 60`s I think !!  Just take it to a department store that sells watch bands or a jewelry store !! Buy one that  fits your wrist comfortably !!  They can fit the band to the watch !!

jondar

• View Profile
Re: Recent Garage Find, Vintage Timex Automatic Watch
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 02:05:33 pm »
That's a great find if it is, indeed, an automatic.  Automatics are wound by the movement of your wrist turning a weighted disk inside the watch.  Timex got a lot of advertising on TV several years ago for "taking a licking and keeps on ticking" so there's a good chance it still works. I think it dates maybe to the early seventies.  What does it do if you try to wind it?  Or what does it do if you try to set it?