Author Topic: Identifying bronze candle holders  (Read 3215 times)

Mermaiden

• View Profile
Identifying bronze candle holders
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:36:46 pm »
Hello everyone! From what I've seen of the forum this place looks really helpful and I'd like to request some help shedding some light on these old marine themed candle holders please.

So far i think they're made of bronze. They aren't magnetic, feel heavy and when scratched reveal a silvery then gold metal underneath. They might be European (as that's where i bought them from). It looks like they have a lovely dark brown/ golden patina over the body and a greener tinge to the base but in some places it looks darker and others far lighter so i can't tell if this is natural or painted or a bit of both? There are also some cracks and other little flaws (like "stains", parts of green crust and a worn but different metal screw) that I'm not sure what to make of. I can't find any identifying signatures on either one of them. They stand about 10 inches high but have a 2cm hole for the candle that is smaller than most long sized candles.

Hopefully the pictures and description will provide enough detail but if there's anything else you'd like to know please ask! Any insight their design and whether they are antique would be great, as would a guesstimate. Thanks for your time!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:54:51 am by Mermaiden »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying mermaid candle holders
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:01:43 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  Interesting piece you have there.  Any other history on it that you know?  What country purchased in?

Does the top/candle holder part screw off or is it permanent?

Rather than a mermaid, this reminds me of the carved female figure on the bow of a boat, known as a Figurehead.  Perhaps this can help with the search?  Looking...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:08:02 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Mermaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 03:56:17 am »
Thank you for kind welcome and quick replies!

KC, the the top candle part is permanent. I'd never thought of them like figureheads before! I assumed the context and base made them mermaids but with their arms crossed that makes sense! I bought them in Bosnia (Mostar) about 10 years ago.

Rink, when i followed that link i can a similar brass mermaid spreading out to two candle holders but i can't see the bottom for comparison. I did wonder about the screw, wasn't sure if a a different screw could be used to support it for extra strength or as a repair. Here's some more pictures of it but it's difficult to get the details to show.

Thanks once again for your input!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 06:26:42 am »
HA, most all self-respecting Mermaids have a fish tail. ;D ;D

Mermaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 07:52:06 am »
I thought maybe it could be some sort of hybrid squid mermaid?! ;D A star fish base is still a fish right?  :P

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 08:46:40 am »
If you say so, but, a Starfish is not really a fish …… its an invertebrate, an echinoderm. ::) ::)

Mermaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 11:03:54 am »
Ha, well it is still... aquatic ::) I'm clutching at straws here, but you are right! Seems to be a case of art is in the eye of the beholder ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 10:40:21 pm »
I have to agree that the screw looks "modern" and "new" on the piece.  Does it appear that it was original with the pieces or added?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Mermaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 08:53:18 am »
For sure the screw looks out of place in comparison and is clearly less eroded. After some digging to see how to tell if it's been added or constructed with it I still honestly have no idea! I want to say it looks like it's been added because of flakes of brighter bronze around one of them and a slightly different coloured metal at the base (pictures below). Although it's hard to tell it gives me the impression that it's been repaired. I'm also hesitant to take that as conclusive proof, especially when i don't know much about metal works and casting. Subconsciously i might just be trying to see evidence that it's not recently made and therefore more interesting. Your opinions or suggestions are greatly welcome!

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Identifying bronze candle holders
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 09:36:24 am »
Mermaiden;
If you check this eBay link you can compare the base to yours.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Art-Deco-Nude-Nouveau-Candle-Holder-Metal-Bronze-Mermaid-Dolphin-Statue-/381485267266?hash=item58d24b3942%3Ag%3AoXMAAOSw7FRWZPOM&nma=true&si=LUaFfGbvXA47IZNSIub5FswH8%252BQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would be skeptical myself of your candleholders being 100% original. The starfish castings appear more defined than the upper portion. And I wonder why the "drip pans" are mismatched?

Mermaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 10:08:31 am »
Rauville- I can see the base screw now and the difference is quite apparent, is this a definitive sign that it's been made in more recent years? Yes, the starfish base and to a degree the top look more defined and even a different colour patina, almost like it's a different age or cast. I have no idea why these differences are apparent or how significant they are, hence why I'm sharing them with you guys for information.

I welcome skepticism, it was that which led me here in the first place! I appreciate you taking a look for me!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 04:48:15 am »
Pics aren't showing

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 11:31:37 am »
Thats odd,, I  can see them fine !!

I believe its just an ordinary galvanized screw to prevent rust !!