Author Topic: What are these items of furniture?  (Read 1681 times)

Ruuto

What are these items of furniture?
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:06:06 am »
Hi all,

We have recently stumbled upon two antique looking items of furniture that we do not know much about. The first is what appears to be a bedroom chair and the second is a side table of sorts. We have no more information about them and would appreciate any clues as to their histories or age/type. The table has the initials 'K.A.P' inscribed on top.

Many thanks.

Pelady

• View Profile
Re: What are these items of furniture?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »
What are the dimensions of the items particularly the leg and table height.  What is on the ground in front of the table. Where did you find or purchase them?  What did the seller say about them?

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:51:03 pm »
Check the bottom of the legs on the chair and see if it has been altered or had a place for rollers.  If it is original it could possibly be one of the shorter nursing chairs from late 1800's to early 1900's. (Most likely had a cushion on the bottom at one time.)

Can you please post pictures of the underside of the table?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 05:52:54 am »
I'd say 1920s for the chair. It has a bit of a deco look. The table is probably the same, though the decorative motifs on the top seem older.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Ruuto

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 06:01:08 am »
What are the dimensions of the items particularly the leg and table height.  What is on the ground in front of the table. Where did you find or purchase them?  What did the seller say about them?

PeLady

The table's dimensions are:

44 cm (width)
60 cm (length)
47 cm (height)
Leg height: 45 cm.

The object in front of the table on the ground is part of the leg which has come away from underneath. I believe the items were purchased from auction a number of years ago. No information about them was available at the time.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:06:18 am by Ruuto »

Ruuto

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 06:04:05 am »
Check the bottom of the legs on the chair and see if it has been altered or had a place for rollers.  If it is original it could possibly be one of the shorter nursing chairs from late 1800's to early 1900's. (Most likely had a cushion on the bottom at one time.)

Can you please post pictures of the underside of the table?

Just had a look and no evidence (i.e. holes, screws) of any casters being fitted to the chair at one point. Please find a picture of the underside of the table attached.

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:57 am »
Which continent are you from ?

Ruuto

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 07:26:53 am »
Which continent are you from ?

United Kingdom

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 11:09:29 am »
Yeah, they look European. I'm UK .

The table - might be Dutch. That style of capital A would be very unusual for England
Chair looks late 19th century but might be a bit later. Unusual back.