Author Topic: Modern or Vintage? Research Block..Need help or hints in identifying Vase  (Read 3306 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Modern or Vintage? Research Block..Need help or hints in identifying this beautiful Vase.

Hello guys,

I need your help.  I found this suspect jewel in the Goodwill in north Georgia.  Unmarked, measuring approximately 12" X 4 5/8". Slender body with raised vine motif.  There is crazing throughout.  I am leaning more toward McCoy, however can't find any similar molds.  Shawnee, Hull, Red Wing base is different.  My research indicates it could possible be one of the unmarked McCoys that is documented to have been made in 1932.  A partial paper label still attached but illegible. Readable words on white label shows Consignment..???? I removed base protectors (little spongy circles) from the base rim.  The bottom was clear from making any direct contact with any surface.  Explaining maybe the unstained bottom?  Any clues or advise in determining age or maker would be greatly appreciated.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
I've got to go with recent on this one. It's just got the look.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
I don't recall ever seeing a "ground bottom" vase.

Meaning, "ground" after it was glazed.

DANTE5

• View Profile
Well Cogar...that information will assist me in my research.  I am not quite sure what the ground bottom should look like, however I noticed the bottom of most of the earlier potters with the same color on bottom as the color of the vessel?  Thank for your insight.

Ghopper1924, I too got that feeling it's recent.  Was hoping not too recent.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
By recent I meant really recent, as in post 2000.  :'(

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
"Consignment" on the label would indicate that at some point it was in an auction,or resale shop ect !!  It was consigned to someone to be sold for the owner !!  Looks newer to me as  well, but how new ???

Ipcress

• View Profile
I don't recall ever seeing a "ground bottom" vase.

Meaning, "ground" after it was glazed.

I think they make them like this in the Far East to simulate ageing - they also fake the crazing you see
on the base.
And to be honest, it's not always the Far East. Whoever makes these wants the buyer to believe the item is older and more valuable than it is.

That's judging by the images.

DANTE5

• View Profile
Ipcress..I agree, it got me so the research began.  So many different potters to choose from.  I've concluded it is a modern studio vase, couldn't find much.  I contacted a potter listed on Etsy by the name of Sarah Marymee (Marymee Studio) who work is similar. Quick response from seller, but she could not assist me in identifying the maker.   Thanks for your help to everyone.

cogar

• View Profile

I think they make them like this in the Far East to simulate ageing -

If what I am seeing in this picture, … that this ceramic vase was first painted green, … then the glaze was added, … then the vase was “fired”, ….. and then the bottom was ground off so that it would sit flat on a table, …….. would not, IMHO, … be done to simulate ageing.

Now iffen it was a glass vase, ….. instead of a ceramic vase, …. then I would agree with the “ground bottom” thingy.

Ipcress

• View Profile
They grind or rough the base rim on the modern fakes / repros to simulate wear and ageing.

Dante5 - is there glaze over the white base rim ? An image without a flash or glare would be great

From what i can see, the crazing is very similar to that on modern Chinese vases.

DANTE5

• View Profile
Ipcress....No glaze over the white base rim.

Try these images.

DANTE5

• View Profile
Good day,

I've got to give it to you guys, It is with great admiration how nice it feels to reach out to you guys for help.  I love this stuff and find frustration many times during my research.  But once I bring it here it starts my brain to ticking for more information.  Thanks for what you do and how you make me feel.

Sincerely,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Thank you for coming to the forum and sharing your treasures!  Also, thank you for the feedback/comments/compliments to the forum members.  So many times advice/help is given and there is no feedback.

A kudos point to you!

Thank you again and thanks for being a regular on the forum!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
And ANOTHER karma point for good manners!

-Broderick Crawford