Author Topic: Expertise needed Chinese or Japanese dish with ChengHua marks ????  (Read 1420 times)

AnyAntiques

• View Profile
Hi,

Need some expertise.

I have small Chinese dish which was cracked and repaired

It appears to have the ChengHua marks? 

I did find some similar marks but the top right mark has a dot underneed the first word ''THE''

also this has only 1 circle around the marks (could only find marks with two circles) is this a Japanese Amari dish?

Can somebody please tell me more about this dish and marks?
It looks like they have spend a lot of time in the workmanship.

Would also like to know following,
is it real or a fake, date, value, and is it still worth something because of the repairs. 

Thank  you

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:37:15 am by AnyAntiques »

DSky25

• View Profile
Re: Expertise needed Chinese or Japanese dish with ChengHua marks ????
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:47:29 pm »
Disclaimer: I am not an expert and often need help identifying items myself.

This does not look to be an authentic Chenghua period piece. From my observations of Chenghua porcelain, the blue dye is is a grayish/smoky dark blue. This blue dye looks similar to the blue dye used in Japanese Imari like you mentioned. Also, it appears as if the inside of the bowl is transfer printed, which would not be the case for something made during the  Chenghua period. Keep in mind, if this piece were authentic then it is around 600 years old, which is highly unlikely. The mark's brush strokes don't appear Chinese and do look Japanese. If you examine Imari pieces, you'll see brush stroke similarities. The Japanese often mimicked the Chinese styles and marks because Chinese porcelain was more revered than Japanese. I doubt it's a "fake", but rather a spurious mark that appears Japanese to me. But then again, there are two other users on here who know way more than I do. I would wait to hear what they say if they take a look. Even if it's not what you expected, it's still a nice piece. Good luck!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 06:39:13 am »
Hi, I agree with DSky25 that this is Japanese Imari and not a fake. I think it is difficult to see from the photos if the inside is transfer printed, I would tend to believe the decoration is hand painted. The shape reminds me more of a lid that originally covered a bowl, can you give us the size?
Mat

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 11:31:15 am »
Strange little thing but the other two have nailed it - a Chenghua mark but not Chenghua.
Unusual enamel decoration.