Author Topic: gRISWOLD #8 WAFFLE MAKER  (Read 4129 times)

sreyomac

• View Profile
gRISWOLD #8 WAFFLE MAKER
« on: July 07, 2016, 12:33:58 pm »
Hey everyone, i was wondering if anyone could give a bit of info on a Griswold #8 waffle maker. It comes with its original heat ring and handles. It has a minimal rust and seems to be in a good overall condition. Age? Price? Patt. No. 151N.

mart

• View Profile
Re: gRISWOLD #8 WAFFLE MAKER
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 08:44:30 pm »
Can we get a pic please ???  And one of the name ??

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:26:50 pm »

sry about not uploading pics yesterday, I was at work and couldn't. I bought it, but still would like to hear what you guys think.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 05:13:15 pm »
It looks like that patent dates it to the first quarter of the 20th century, ca. 1908-1922.

People are asking more than I thought they would for these. It looks like if you were selling this on E-Bay it would start at around $100. That's what people are asking, anyway.

The fun thing is that it looks like some of these still work, 100 years later. Hadn't these people heard of planned obsolescence??
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 07:05:18 pm »
It probably doesn't make much difference in value, but the 975 ring would have came with the earlier "slant logo" 885 & 886 pans originally.                 

There's a chart on the following page that lists pan and ring pattern numbers that were used together.
http://www.castironcollector.com/waffle.php

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 08:39:13 am »
Thx guys. I paid 40 for it and do plan on using it. Finding one has been on my list for awhile now. I have have seen many in a lesser condition,  so I was stoked when I ran across this one.  The next must have thing is kitchen scale... :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 01:04:57 am »
This is one of those fine pieces that can be passed down through families!  :)  Enjoy your treasure!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 08:55:20 am »
Be sure and re-season the waffle surface before using so it won`t stick !!

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 07:02:58 pm »
Oh we will enjoy! My guys more than anyone, I'm sure. They will be ones to enjoy the spoils. But yes Mart they gotta wait until I re-season it. My husband thinks I'm crazy because I like to take back to no seasoning and then season myself... I use electrolysis and it easy peasy.... I have to do this because I, for one, don't use soap on my cast iron, and I know most don't.... so it gets my mind going when using very used, very old pots and pans....you never know how the last owner kept her kitchen. LOL :o ;D :D I

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:42:58 pm »
Totally agree with you.  I strip and re-season as well.  Then it is our family's noshings that build it's character!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 05:59:22 am »
Soap really isn`t necessary on well seasoned  cast iron !!  But I do scrub the dickens out of it when I buy one at a garage/barn sale ect !!  Then oil and stick it in the oven a while !!  Maybe hours or days till it looks right !!  I will not let my step daughter near my cast iron because she uses a scrubber and soap on it !!  She has been banned from the kitchen !!  LOL !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 11:59:54 pm »
Oh....I would ban her too Mart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Some people just can't help themselves tho'!)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 06:19:07 am »
I have a nice little 9 in skillet in the garage now waiting to be done !!  I think I am going to wait till I use the self cleaning feature on my stove and see if that will eliminate the build up on the bottom !!  I wonder if this one was used on a wood stove !! It has a build up of crud on the bottom !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 10:56:13 am »
Ones that have been used on an open fire alot have a different buildup on the bottom!  We had one that we used for camping trips and outside fires that wasn't allowed on the house stove - too much mess!