Author Topic: I have been unable to find any information about this vintage luggage case.  (Read 2553 times)

Kitty Lamour

• View Profile
I have tried and tried to find out about this piece of luggage and unable to find out a thing. The person I acquired it from was a collector of many  varied vintage items and a frequent European traveler. Any assistance would be appreciated! Thank you!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
"Authentic Vintage Louis Vuitton Cosmetics Case Trunk in Brown Monogram with Gold Hardware."  I've also read that Hermes uses a horse symbol.

But thats the caption in the link. This case could be worth a pretty $.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Vintage+louis+vuitton+luggage+with+horse+head+logo

Wonder if Hermes` did some copies ??  Here are a few more to check !!  I did not find the horse head pattern in Vuittons website but the logo  is sure similar !!  Slight different letter shapes !!

Kitty Lamour

• View Profile
Oh my... The gentleman that gave it to me did mention Louis Vuitton but I thought he said the case was made by a Louis Vuitton competitor. He purchased it in Europe who knows how long ago. I knew the case was obvious quality from the fittings and the leather wrapped handle... just knew it was something... just couldn't figure out what... lol.

I thought it was an HV with a horse head but now I believe it has to be a Cursive LV.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next step should be? Should I contact Louis Vuitton? I have had a few nice things but this one is literally giving me goose bumps... It's in perfect condition, not a scratch or a ding on it... Like new.

What info I have been able to gather is that if it is Louis Vuitton and is a rare piece it could be very valuable.

Ipcress

• View Profile
I think if you contacted them, they'd say it was a fake.

The stitching on that label is very poor.

Looks like a blatant rip off.

Kitty Lamour

• View Profile
It is stitched on very evenly and real leather, as is all the trim and the handle very well made leather wrapped. I've always been told that knock-offs are never stitched but glued on with fake stitching and the thread will be cheap nylon. Also been informed the fittings on a fake are not ever real brass. The fittings on this case are all pure brass and the monogrammed canvas is all uniformly aligned. I don't see where you see anything blatant about it. I own several Louis Vuittons and the case is just as well made if not higher quality than my newer purses. I have submitted it to a well-respected, high-end vintage designer retailer for a quote and am expecting one back within 1-2 business days.

I appreciate all the responses. Thank you, you have all been very helpful to me being a newbie to this site.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:52:30 am by Kitty Lamour »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Here's a page called Vintage Contessa. One of their specialities is vintage Louis Vuitton. I would e-mail them and send them a picture. Ask for an opinion, what could it hurt?

In any case, you've got an interesting item.

http://thevintagecontessa.com
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:02:29 pm by ghopper1924 »

-Broderick Crawford

Kitty Lamour

• View Profile
Thank you, too cool... I already submitted the case and all the info to them and am eagerly awaiting an appraisal/quote. Keeping my fingers crossed.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
I'm certain that you'll get back to us with the result. I look forward to it with interest!

BTW, should your name be spelled Kitty L'Amour??  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:01:30 pm by ghopper1924 »

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
Yes,,  Please keep us updated !!  I would love to know  if it is indeed  a real LV !!

Kitty Lamour

• View Profile
I will for sure share whatever I find out about it... it is a cool unique piece whatever it is... I'd just like to know it's history.

As far as my nom de plume goes... it's just plain Lamour.  ;)

I have another little interesting piece to share, if anyone is up for some Trivial Pursuit... category "The Silver Screen"  :D

Kitty Lamour

• View Profile
And the response I received states that they are unable to provide a quote/appraisal on the item. Back to square one.  :-\

MY QUOTES
How it Works
HOW IT WORKS
Get a Quote
GET A QUOTE
Ship to Us
SHIP TO US
Review our Offer
REVIEW OUR OFFER
Get Paid
GET PAID
Quote #Y1181157

Louis Vuitton Antique Cosmetics Case With LV Logo With Horsehead Monogram
Message from Yoogi's Closet Buyer:
We currently specialize in select styles and are not able to make an offer on this item due to its style and/or age.
-

mart

• View Profile
Darn !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
That response looks weird. Don't give up.

-Broderick Crawford