Author Topic: Parlor table and dresser  (Read 6506 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: Parlor table and dresser
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 06:31:40 pm »
Besides, people were sick of dark wood (walnut) by 1900 and bored to death with the victorian age and it's cluttered life.They wanted  change and BAM, along comes Stickley, Limbert and hundreds of others, maybe thousands of furniture manufacturer's to provide them with a brand new look. It was very well made, it was sleek and lean in design with exposed joinery and, it was also mostly blond! as in golden oak and, it was a SMASH HIT! trust me. Check out this listing of some of the guys who made this happen in 1900 america, some big names, many small but as a group, they MADE IT HAPPEN!
http://artsandcraftscollector.com/shopmarks/furniture

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 07:11:48 pm »
Can you please post a picture of the underside of the table and a close up of the casters?  Thanks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 07:32:01 pm »
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Eastlake+parlor+table

General search !!

Jacon4,,are you sure you are thinking about the U.S.??  I have heard that said about the UK although I do not know if walnut is so common there !!  But here even most of the inexpensive depression era furniture was walnut !!  Walnut was an inexpensive wood as was mahogany !!  It seems that if there was little walnut left price/furniture price would have gone up !!  But it was used in the furniture for the middle class !!   Mahogany, up until fairly recently,was used as ships ballast !!  Not our ships of course !!  Thats  why mahogany was used in the repro Duncan Phyfe furniture and others !!  It  was inexpensive and plentiful !!  There are better grades of course !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 07:48:49 pm »
Yes they were tired of the dark wood but if you will notice,, the woods are walnut but the finish is much lighter !!

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 08:17:28 pm »
To all of the above,,,you realize that all of you have succeeded in totally confusing me correct? Lol
I'm posting another...so please confuse me more! Seriously though thanks

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 08:48:12 pm »
Can you please post a picture of the underside of the table and a close up of the casters?  Thanks!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2016, 01:44:59 am »
Mart, yes, pretty sure i am thinking of USA, who knows what them limeys were doin in 1910! Where is what's his name? from GB, perhaps he/she will stop by and comment on that period over there. When i clicked your link, most all of them said 1880 eastlake that were walnut, the few oak eastlake pieces didn't give a date. Understand that here in america we followed english styles pretty closely until about the 1940s. Walnut was plentiful and cheap here during most of the victorian age here but eventually they ran out in the quantities needed to supply the furniture industry in Grand Rapids that supplied furniture to millions. One could safely say that here in america, conservation and good forestry practices was not something we worried about much in the 19th and early 20th century. Sure, walnut was still available in 1900 but it was getting scarce & expensive, much to expensive to feed the furniture industry that supplied the masses with affordable furniture.

Kathy, sorry, didn't mean to confuse you, we have gone off track here a bit and are discussing american furniture history generally. Your table remains late victorian, about 1880.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 01:59:27 am »
But here even most of the inexpensive depression era furniture was walnut !

Mart, i'll bet that if you sanded the finish off that depression era furniture, you will find most of it wasn't walnut but stained to look like walnut.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 05:48:49 am »
Kathy, those ceramic wheeled castors are good for dating a piece of furniture.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 06:27:56 am »
Kathy, those ceramic wheeled castors are good for dating a piece of furniture.

Yep, we've got a bunch here at Chez Grasshopper. Again, 1875-85.

The history of furniture styles in the 19th century is complicated. As Mart has noted in the past, styles occurred concurrently, depending on where you were, but in general styles had ascendency at certain times, i.e. neoclassicism in the early 19th century, rococo revival 1840-1860, Renaissance Revival, Eastlake. Those were the biggies, but there were splinter styles like Egyptian Revival, Moorish, etc. as well. Styles were usually equal parts a desire to innovate coupled with a reaction against the previous style. For example, Charles Eastlake HATED the Rococo Revival, so Eastlake furniture was thought to be a "simplification" expressing "truth" that rococo revival would not, or could not, express. Subsequent history has proven that eastlake, particularly the earlier stuff, was anything but simple. Stickley's craftsman style would demonstrate true simplicity when it came to ornament, although even that looks rich compared to international style modernism.

Styles had "apex" woods that were considered the best at the time. For Neoclassical (Adam) it was mahogany, for Rococo Revival the best pieces were often rosewood, then Renaissance Revival and Eastlake with walnut, then oak at the end of the 19th century. These are generalizations of course, with frequent exceptions, but you get the idea. There is also something to Jacon's idea that new woods took over as old woods became over-harvested. Rosewood is a good example. I don't think it was ever common, but in the 1850s it was recognized as the wood for flagship items like etageres, because not only did it smell good (thus "Rosewood"), but it was difficult to work, challenging even the best furniture makers like Meeks and Belter.  Now Rosewood is endangered, and not used for much besides guitar fretboards. Interestingly, it was revived in the 1950s and 60s, along with teak, for radical modernist furniture.

And yes, walnut became a "spray on" feature for 1930s and 40s furniture. Most of the best and most formal stuff was solid mahogany.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:47:32 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 08:52:48 am »
LOL !!  Did not mean to confuse and I did intend, as Ghopper has done,  (Thanks Ghopper) to post an explanation !!  Your table is, as Jacon4 said, would commonly be called late Victorian !!  But during that period there were several styles all about the same time and overlapping each other !!  Many of these are referred to as late Victorian period by some and by the descriptive term by others !!  Not to be confused by the correct period name as in Empire period and Empire revival a bit later in history for example !!
Actually it makes little difference in value or style when your table was made during that period !!  ( But here is the deal,, Jacon4 is an expert on Colonial and Early American (Pilgrim) furniture,, Ghopper knows Victorian furnitureand others well and I have studied late 19th & 20th centuryfurniture and its evolution !!  Most times we see things on the same keel with only slight differences !! But Jacon4 has been MIA for a while and this discussion will keep him hopping   :) !!)  Furniture  styles can be as much as a 20 year spread and occasionally more depending on the popularity at the time !!
Anytime you do not understand what we are talking about, just say so and we will be happy to trim down the explanation !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 01:38:39 pm »
Been busy here plus it's HOT! now in the carolinas, was 97 today in Charlotte and humidity is very high!

Let me go at this from another angle, in 1908 Sears Roebuck started selling kit homes, that's right, for as little as $500. they would ship you an ENTIRE HOUSE in kit form, something like 30,000 pieces by rail. They used very high quality materials, this wasn't junk by any means, indeed, many of these  Sears kit houses still stand today. For those that could not afford to hire an architect like Frank Loyd Wright or lesser figures and hire a general contractor to build a house, Sears had you covered folks , they would ship the entire house with marked parts and instructions so you could build it yourself. Many/most of these houses were 1 story craftsman style  Bungalow's. Now, do you really think someone was going to furnish their brand new Sears Bungalow in Victorian furniture?  HELL NO!  they were gonna furnish it in the style of the day, craftsman, mission, arts & craft or whatever you wanna call it.  The Queen was dead (queen Vic died in 1901), the victorian age was OVER and people moved on to a brand new century & a brand new style, Craftsman, Check out the pic's on some of these kit homes at link below.

http://www.arts-crafts.com/archive/sears/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:55:19 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 03:33:36 pm »
But here even most of the inexpensive depression era furniture was walnut !

Mart, i'll bet that if you sanded the finish off that depression era furniture, you will find most of it wasn't walnut but stained to look like walnut.

Nope !!  When I had my shop I had to strip more of that stuff than I care to count !!  I got to the point that I refused to buy it and started buying more oak even though at that time it sold better !!  Got tired of looking at it !!  And everyone wanted to go back to what it looked like as new and that meant mostly dark stains !! 

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 04:04:45 pm »
lol, yeah well, you are in Texas, Texas don't count when it comes to furniture, BAM! Most of the depression era furniture i see here in the east was a white wood like poplar that had a very dark stain and the higher quality furniture that was mahogany. There probably was some walnut, after all walnut was very plentiful here once upon a time & considered our "mahogany" but it was seriously over cut during the victorian age and became expensive as the 20th century began and, american black walnut remains expensive today. I would say if the furniture you sold was walnut, it would have been on the higher end of the depression era furniture.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 04:08:54 pm by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 04:20:33 pm »
I just thought of something that might explain your experience, was the depression furniture you had built in Calif? or in the east? Calif has walnut but it is a different species, same family but different than american black walnut.