Author Topic: two birds with one stone  (Read 6616 times)

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
two birds with one stone
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:30:56 am »
I don't understand why this post keeps saying it's posted but yet it hasn't shown up on the board so I will try once more.

two items-is the first a pie server>  wm rogers SI

the second-is this a candle snuffer?  anyone know the markings?

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
Re: two birds with one stone
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:35:09 am »
second pic (hopefully)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:57:40 pm »
Can you please post a picture of the serving piece right side up/top view?

The one item is a snuffer.  I am betting the one is a pie/pastry server but just have to see the shape.  If it was round it would be a tomato server!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 02:49:16 pm »
Your serving piece is a tomato server!  Try taking a look at the pattern Mountain Rose - it sure looks like it from the picture that you posted!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:50:02 pm »
KC-I am in awe-may I ask you how one serves a tomato?  Sliced ? Full?  Is this done at all  anymore?  What kind of a party would have used it?  THANKS

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 11:48:19 pm »
I almost choked laughing sugarcube5419!  You wouldn't believe all the serving and service pieces that the Victorians had.  There was a singular serving piece for everything!  YES, it is still popular believe it or not!  In Victorian times it was used at every meal that served tomatoes.  These days, personal preference and social standing determine the usage!

Red tomatoes were served sliced with a server that had holes so that the juice/seeds could drain through. (Thus you could pause and drain the slice instead of it going out the side and getting on the fine tablecloth!) Believe it or not they even had green tomato slice servers that had little to no holes because the green tomato slices weren't as juicy. (Which is not to be confused with the aspic/cranberry sauce/jelly server!)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:07:52 am by KC »

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 07:08:11 pm »
KC-all I can think is the amount of dishes these people must have washed/dried. 

thank you for an informative answer

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 07:49:23 pm »
LOL. They didn't wash dishes!  The help washed the dishes. 

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 07:29:07 am »
Any family that owned and used all of those “serving” utensils …. usually always employed more “service/serving” personnel than there were family members to be “served”.

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 08:10:43 am »
thanks pelady and cougar-my mind just didn't go that way--

I thought it was a pie server-had it forever.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 03:31:33 pm »
sugarcube5419, unfortunately I got hooked on finding the rarer items that Victorians used and still enjoy the "hunt" for them.  I blame it on my Mom that I got started.  She has a beautiful set of pie forks (not the small dinky ones but the full size 7" ones that were made with the finer sets of silver in the late 1800's to very early 1900's.) Pie forks had a webbed tine so that 1) it made the fork sturdier to cut a bite off of your pie without bending the fork over time and 2) to help get the juice from those mouthwatering fruit pies!

I have over 150 forks easy now (started collecting over 25 years ago.)  They aren't as common and most people don't know what they are! I have only bought them in good to perfect condition and for little to nothing.  They have since caught back on and the prices (depending on maker/pattern) have greatly increased! 

It is different from a meat fork

or a cake/pastry fork

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 04:11:17 pm »
 KC,

You have over 150 pie forks ? Or 150 of all tpy s of forks?

Pelady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.