Author Topic: Mantle clock  (Read 1400 times)

kathyv43

• View Profile
Mantle clock
« on: July 21, 2016, 11:41:14 am »
This came from my maternal grandmother and would like to know the age of it, etc. There are no markings.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Mantle clock
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:52:41 am »
Looks like a walnut "gingerbread" clock ca. 1890. There is usually a label on the back or inside the clock that tells you who made it and where. Connecticut would be a pretty safe guess.

Depending on the manufacturer, a clock like this in working order can go from $150 on up.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 12:08:30 pm »
Looks like a walnut "gingerbread" clock ca. 1890. There is usually a label on the back or inside the clock that tells you who made it and where. Connecticut would be a pretty safe guess.

Depending on the manufacturer, a clock like this in working order can go from $150 on up.

You can tell there was something on the back before but it's gone now. The clock works great and I plan on keeping it...I just didn't know anything about it. Thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 08:12:34 pm »
Can you open the back and look at the clock works,, should be a name on it  !!  The case is not as important as who made the clock !!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 06:10:58 am »
Open the door and look closely on the back n' sides behind the pendulum for any "penciled" writing.

Sometimes, clock repair persons "signed & dated" it when it was cleaned or repaired.

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 04:04:53 pm »
I've looked everywhere and there is nothing. There is one place that maybe something was written but it's either faded or stained over...possibly could be discoloration of wood.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 08:08:06 am »
Look at the metal clockworks not the wood and see if there is a name ??  May need to open the back !!