Author Topic: Antique buffet?  (Read 5326 times)

kathyv43

• View Profile
Antique buffet?
« on: July 23, 2016, 10:48:39 am »
I am thinking of buying this but it's more than I would normally pay for something I am going to resale. Any thoughts or info? Thanks

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Antique buffet?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 01:24:44 pm »
1940s Jacobethan Revival. Demand seems to be going down as fewer people are looking for formal dining sets. If this is for you to keep, I still wouldn't pay over $200, preferably closer to $100. Demand around here is virtually nil.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 02:10:06 pm »
Can you take a pic of the dovetail joints on the side of  the drawer !!  Looks more like some pieces I have seen from Germany or German cabinetmakers here !!

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 02:24:13 pm »
Can you take a pic of the dovetail joints on the side of  the drawer !!  Looks more like some pieces I have seen from Germany or German cabinetmakers here !!

Will pick it up Monday and post more pics then.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 02:29:21 pm »
What did you pay for it if I may ask ??

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 02:31:02 pm »

$150. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Lol

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 02:36:30 pm »
Its worth that at least !!  Selling prices depend a lot on where it is sold !!  In my area it would do $200. or a little more !!  I like it !!  Has a Pennsylvania Dutch look to it !  When you pick it up get as much info as you can !!

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 02:49:01 pm »
Its worth that at least !!  Selling prices depend a lot on where it is sold !!  In my area it would do $200. or a little more !!  I like it !!  Has a Pennsylvania Dutch look to it !  When you pick it up get as much info as you can !!

I bought it for resale otherwise I wouldn't really care what it's worth. I'm hoping and I think I can get around $400 here...$300 at the lowest...time will tell.
I will get info and post more pics when I get it Monday. Thanks.

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 02:54:24 pm »

And I like it too! Very pretty and a little different from the norm...kinda has a warm feeling to it in my opinion.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 03:58:21 pm »

It sounds like you live in a place where everything goes for significantly more money than it does around here!  Good for you.

$150 is not a mistake; however, that would be all you could sell it for in this part of the midwest. It sounds like you can do better where you are!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 10:37:20 pm »
Love it!  Great price.  Around here you could pay $250 - 350 easy for that.  Around here you would pay more if it was chalk painted/antiqued!

I would have bought it for use as a cabinet easily!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 03:00:54 am »

Yeah, me too!. Around here, i'd probably have to pay someone to take it off my hands because here in Charlotte the town is full of young people in small spaces. Your area could well be a different story.

Selling prices depend a lot on where it is sold !!

Absolutely! Take victorian period furniture like you had a few threads back, it's a tough sell most places but in New Orleans for example, victorian does very well.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:06:43 am by jacon4 »

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 09:47:42 am »
Love it!  Great price.  Around here you could pay $250 - 350 easy for that.  Around here you would pay more if it was chalk painted/antiqued!

I would have bought it for use as a cabinet easily!

I bought it for resale so I wouldn't pay more than what I paid. Hopefully will sell it for $300-$400. And it's the same here...chalk painting is all the craze...I don't mind chalk painting vintage...don't mind painting antique if it's damaged and I can't repair it...but I do have a hard time convincing myself to paint an antique that is in good condition. I think chalk painted furniture is selling for close to 200% above stained furniture.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 10:04:45 am »
I think chalk painted furniture is selling for close to 200% above stained furniture.

I can see that, most of the dealers i know have been whining about "brown furniture" for years now! Even on the higher end, it has to be "perfect" they say or it just sits there!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 10:11:58 am »
.but I do have a hard time convincing myself to paint an antique that is in good condition

I have a pet theory about that. I would argue that once an old piece of furniture is removed from the house living space, to the attic,basement, garage, barn, etc, it's chances of survival go WAY DOWN! So anything that keeps it in the main house is a GOOD THING! and besides, paint can always be removed so i say, PAINT AWAY!