• View Profile
Buffet
« on: July 27, 2016, 06:01:13 pm »
What time period and style is this buffet? Thanks

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Buffet
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:15:45 pm »
It looks to be late Art Deco ca. 1940. I like the "waterfall" feature rounding the top front edge, as well as the glass pulls.  I'd say it's mahogany veneer.

It's got some condition issues, obviously. In the central midwest you might get $100 for it; in your part of the country it sounds like you could expect more. Too bad, because it's got obvious style and craftsmanship, and doesn't conform to the usual "Jacobethan Revival" style that you see in so many of these buffets.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:20:18 pm »
It looks to be late Art Deco ca. 1940. I like the "waterfall" feature rounding the top front edge, as well as the glass pulls.  I'd say it's mahogany veneer.

It's got some condition issues, obviously. In the central midwest you might get $100 for it; in your part of the country it sounds like you could expect more. Too bad, because it's got obvious style and craftsmanship, and doesn't conform to the usual "Jacobethan Revival" style that you see in so many of these buffets.

I thought it was mahogany veneer too. Would it have a good quality wow underneath the veneer? They're not asking much and I am contemplating buying and redoing...but not sure yet. I have always like that style...there is beauty in simplicity sometimes.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:23:15 pm »
It is very attractive and a bit unusual. Um...the base wood is likely to be pine, or maybe oak since this is a high quality formal piece. If you're not an expert at veneering, you might want to make sure you've found one before purchasing the buffet, because it looks like it will need some knowledgeable TLC.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:35:33 pm »
Take it from one who has been there and done that,,do not strip that veneer !! This is one I would pass on !!

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 06:37:40 pm »
Take it from one who has been there and done that,,do not strip that veneer !! This is one I would pass on !!
I'm not gong to...I saw it online but have not seen in person...not sure how bad it is but looks pretty bad. I've seen several like this and didn't not know time period, etc.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 07:05:38 pm »
Oh !!  I thought you might be looking to buy it !! During the 40`s they used  whatever wood was cheapest and didn`t care if it was the same wood or several different woods !! After all it was going to be covered by veneer !! And I am talking about the middle of the road furniture,, not the high end stuff !!  Remember WWll didn`t end till 1945 and no one had any money to speak of !! Many furniture mfrs used  whatever they had on hand and was cheapest !!  There are some nice veneered pieces but this isn`t one of  them !!

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 07:15:31 pm »
Oh !!  I thought you might be looking to buy it !! During the 40`s they used  whatever wood was cheapest and didn`t care if it was the same wood or several different woods !! After all it was going to be covered by veneer !! And I am talking about the middle of the road furniture,, not the high end stuff !!  Remember WWll didn`t end till 1945 and no one had any money to speak of !! Many furniture mfrs used  whatever they had on hand and was cheapest !!  There are some nice veneered pieces but this isn`t one of  them !!

I plan on looking at it when I'm in that city (it's about 30 minutes from here) not making a special trip. Want to see how bad it is...if it's as bad as the pic looks I will not buy it. I can't repair it if it has a lot of damage and no sense in paying someone else to do it since it's not worth a lot. If it looked like it was in good shape I would have already made the trip. Lol