Author Topic: Parlor table  (Read 3650 times)

kathyv43

• View Profile
Parlor table
« on: July 27, 2016, 06:54:01 pm »
This table is similar to another I posted. Someone had put a plywood top on it that I have taken off. Does anyone know if the original top would have been marble or something else? Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Parlor table
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:08:59 pm »
Marble probably just got broke and no one replaced it !!  Happens a lot !!  Its a good one !!

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 07:11:21 pm »
Marble probably just got broke and no one replaced it !!  Happens a lot !!  Its a good one !!

The table is in good shape other than the missing top. Would it be okay to put wood instead of marble?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:17:31 pm »
Since this table never had a walnut top, I'd stick with marble. It will add to the value of the table, and enable it to hold its value better as the years go on.

I would go ahead and get a slab of Carrera marble for the table. The marble should reflect the shape of the apron, be beveled on its top edge, and overhand the apron by about 1". Any company that makes kitchen counters and such can do it easily. The marble should not have a glossy finish on the top and sides, but should be matte or semi-gloss at most.

"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:17:13 pm »
If you have a cabinet shop near you check the scratch and dent area !!  Sometimes they have something that will work for a table to that did not make it as a counter top !!  They always have leftovers that just need cutting to fit !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 01:44:08 am »
Eastlake, parlor table, about 1880. Yeah, agrees, marble top is missing which should not be a big deal to replace. It would look weird without marble and because it's so small it should not cost much to replace, maybe $100 or so. I would call countertop contractors in your area, see if they would fabricate one for you in the $100 range, i bet they would.
https://www.amazon.com/Marble-Granite-slab-thick-table/dp/B00C3HROAC
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:58:32 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 10:02:24 am »
In fact,, the part that is removed from the marble to makke way for the sink might be big enough !!  Just have them put an edge on it !! 

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 12:48:50 pm »
Exactly, or cooktop cut out.

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 04:07:22 pm »
Confused again. Why would you put a sink or cooktop?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 07:18:39 pm »
I believe they mean that when you install a sink (for example) with new countertops, you have to cut the sink out (obviously), leaving a sink-shaped "blank" leftover that the contractor doesn't need. Instead of tossing it out, the countertop installer might be able to shape it to the size of your table and use it that way, saving waste on his part and costs on yours. 

It could happen. If not, getting a piece of the correct size custom cut and beveled will still not be a bank breaker, plus it will increase the value of your table. Without the top, your table is worth about 10-20% of what it should be.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

kathyv43

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 08:01:19 pm »
I believe they mean that when you install a sink (for example) with new countertops, you have to cut the sink out (obviously), leaving a sink-shaped "blank" leftover that the contractor doesn't need. Instead of tossing it out, the countertop installer might be able to shape it to the size of your table and use it that way, saving waste on his part and costs on yours. 

It could happen. If not, getting a piece of the correct size custom cut and beveled will still not be a bank breaker, plus it will increase the value of your table. Without the top, your table is worth about 10-20% of what it should be.

Wow I had a blonde moment...my apologies lol

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 12:18:04 am »
LOLOL  They were just thinking out loud (typing out loud) like we often do without the long explanation.  Thanks for expanding on that ghopper1924!

Just near me are 3 marble/granite fabricators and they each have a lot of leftover slabs that people go and purchase pieces to fit tables, mantles, etc.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 01:27:32 am »
Yeah, sorry for any confusion. Stone is a natural substance so in addition to countertop cut outs, contractors who fabricate stone ALWAYS have remnants left over that are in their yards for smaller type jobs like yours. Naturally, you gotta pick through them to find what you want and then have measurements of your table.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 05:19:54 am »
HA,  ;D ;D ;D now that’s whatcha call repurposing a repurposed hunk of metamorphic “marble” rock.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 05:40:17 am »
My first antique, 35? years ago, i paid $375. for it then which is about what it's worth now, lol. Very similar form to yours, notice the beveled edge on top which is a fairly standard feature on these table tops.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:43:37 am by jacon4 »