Author Topic: Keno Brothers  (Read 6161 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Keno Brothers
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 06:20:00 pm »
I know. We were all "newbies" at one point, and one of my points of interest was to see if a dealer would be honest with us in the short term in order to create a good relationship in the long term. Almost without exception, I found that dealers would rather rip us off to make a quick sale, overcharging us while lauding a particular item's condition and "rarity."

Out of the 5 local auctioneers I have bookmarked in my computer, only one is consistently honest. NONE of the dealers are.

So: Stupidity in developing client relationships based on respect and relationship longevity is virtually omnipresent, and lust for the short-term sale, especially if the dealer can make an extra $100 of the client's ignorance, is the rule. This business model is professional suicide, especially at the high end. Think of the contempt the industry must have for its clients! I would say that, for the most part, the people in the antiques industry get everything they deserve as one after another of them hangs up their "out of business" signs, but that leaves me with my love of the durn things, and the fact that you have to get them SOMEWHERE!

This is exactly why,, as I said before,, I am the worlds biggest skeptic !!  I do not believe anything until I prove what it is myself !!  Antique dealers and auctioneers are on the bottom of my list !!  They are right along side the local car dealer !!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:57:37 am by KC »

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 02:56:02 am »
 Antique dealers and auctioneers are on the bottom of my list !!  They are right along side the local car dealer !!

Gee Wiz! Mart & ghopper are on these people like a bad habit! My experience is different, most of the dealers/auctioneers i interact with are basically honest, perhaps because over the years i have weeded out the bad actors in the industry. That being said, with the kind of objects i collect, i do not believe what descriptions in catalogues say, not because they are dishonest , more like they lack knowledge and do not have the time to research. As for dealers, there are not that many in my field of interest, less than 100 i would guess that specialize in early furniture, most of them are very honest, at least the ones i deal with.
This makes the Keno dealio very distressing if it turns out they engaged in dishonest practices, they are dealers at the top of the market, masterpieces actually that sell for very large sums, add in the high profile of TV and man o man, this ain't good, at all.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:57:49 am by KC »

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 08:23:18 am »
LOL!  When I saw the title to this posting I was think keno as in the electronic gambling game.  I was trying imagine what could be antique or collectible.

PeLady
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:57:59 am by KC »
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 08:27:24 am »
lol, My fault, i should have put brothers with Keno!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:58:12 am by KC »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 10:23:27 am »
UPDATE:

In MAD this month, this has gone from scandalous to rather sad. I remember several years ago when some dealers were saying privately that the auction biz that they got into was a bad sign, that you really can't do 3 or 4 things at the same time and do them well at that level. In any event, this saga continues.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/stories/kenos-fail-to-honor-settlement-with-kamelot/6015
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:58:24 am by KC »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 11:11:33 am »
That cavalier attitude towards avoiding obligations brought on by themselves seems to be almost approaching the definition of fraud.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:58:35 am by KC »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 11:25:12 am »
Yeah, you are correct, the idea that 2 brothers bidding at same auction on the same objects competing against each other is bad, no matter how one slices & dices it. But then not being able to pay their bill is very odd, something bad happened there.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:58:52 am by KC »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 12:21:56 pm »
Me thinks they need to buy some tall boots for the deep s--t they are in !!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:59:03 am by KC »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 12:41:12 pm »
As if the antique market weren't tanked enough.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:59:18 am by KC »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 04:03:26 pm »
Another Update:
Kenos resolve all legal matters, reports MAD
http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/stories/kenos-resolve-all-legal-matters/6172

Well, glad to see everyone got paid, it was a really weird deal all around and, i am pretty sure the Keno brothers are relieved to get out from under all those lawsuits. Still, i predict it will be awhile, if ever, that they get their credibility back, trust is hard earned and when lost, really tough to get back.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:59:28 am by KC »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 04:17:35 pm »
Some good news, anyway!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:59:40 am by KC »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 11:35:00 am »
Yeah, better than a poke in the eye! Still, talk about a marketing disaster, it doesn't get a lot worse than this. Who in their right mind would ever buy antiques from these guys?

KC updated the title to this thread, good job!