Author Topic: 5 Little glasses  (Read 6481 times)

debc

• View Profile
5 Little glasses
« on: September 14, 2016, 09:00:11 am »
I have had these 5 little glasses, which I thought of as shot glasses.  Unearthed them yesterday thinking perhaps I will sell them.  I remember seeing these in my parents bar in the 1950's and that is all I can tell you as far as age.  Amber etched bowls with bubble bottoms I am thinking handblown?  No two are the same and there are imperfections in most.  One has some black pitting on the inside, little dots that I noticed for the first time today.  That one also has an X etched or scratched into the bottom.  The other has an elongated bubble inside the stem and has a Y on the bottom.  Have pics of those and will post.  They hold a maximum of 2 tablespoons of liquid.  They measure for the most part 2.75" tall.  1.25" in diameter. Bases are 1" tall leaving 1.75 for the bowls.  One of these is slightly smaller than the rest. Very finely made, the bowls are very fragile, but no chips on any of them.  I have searched and searched and not found anything like these and am looking for some direction as to how to price and if there is any history to them I would love to hear it.  Thanks as always.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:01:42 am by debc »

debc

• View Profile
Re: 5 Little glasses
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 09:03:04 am »
The X and Y

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 02:24:45 pm »
I did see a lot of the shot glasses online but not a single one that looks even close to these with the etched amber bowls.  I am interested in selling but have no clue as to value.  Remember I am in Canada Mart  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 02:53:50 pm »
Oh Darn !! I forgot where you  are !!  Getting them here would make them more expensive than they are worth !!  You would be better off sellling in Canada !!  Shucks !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:15:17 pm »
I do not see an X or a Y !! 

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 09:36:40 am »
Sorry, hard to see, they are very small, like scratches or etched in. The more I look the more I think they are probably both x's.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 05:14:57 pm »
Well,, there is no factory mark like that I have ever heard of !!  Could be a mark to indicate they are sold  as "seconds" !!  I still say these are Circle Ware !! They are the only mfr that made this type ball foot that I know of !!  They made two types from 2009 to 2012,, one is "Fireball" and the other is "Galaxy" !!

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 07:52:36 pm »
These were in my parents bar in the 1950's .

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:17:21 am »
Hi debc,

I have glasses from the 1950's with very similar etched design but without the glass ball on the bottom.  Do you have any glass blowing companies or former companies near you?  That would be my next line of research.  Although sometimes  glass blowers just played around with left over glass at the end of the day and items might be one of a kind.....

Shot glasses are hot with the 20 to 30 crowd, modern set sell between 15-30 dollars USA

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 07:41:11 am »
Circle Ware made mostly barware !! 

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 08:41:34 am »
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.  No glass blowing or glassware anything near where we lived.  My parents had other really cool shot glass kind of things in that bar but they all disappeared with the ex wives lol. :-X  Was circleware around in the 50's?  Mart you sound most frustrated.  The x's or x and y are only on two of the glasses, not all, so I don't think it is a makers mark, but both of the glasses that have the marks have some obvious mistakes on them, on one it is the black dots and the other, the elongated bubble in the stem.  I think I have to give up on this one as I cannot find anything even close.  This and my baby's plate argggg.  Have a great day folks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 02:40:46 pm »
http://www.circleglass.com/

Why not just send them a pic and ask if they made them ??  If not they may know who did !!  Just be sure you tell them where you are located !!

Now whats the problem with the baby plate ??  You know who made it,,and approx  when made Approx 1913 to 1917,, you know the product line is Royal Devon !!  Iif you are concerned about not finding another like it,, could be several reasons,,Royal Devon was for the most part hand painted !!  But these were not necessarily professional artists,, just regular workers many of which were simply picking up extra household money !! Thats why the decorator marked each one they painted !!  They were paid per completed piece !!  Perhaps they didn`t work there very long or as in my opinion,, they realized that new mothers were not exactly enthralled with mountain goats on a Baby Plate and so very few were sold !!  Is any of this going to make a difference in the value of the plate,, sadly no it will not !! People are still not enthralled with mountain goats on anything,, except perhaps the occasional hunter  !!
Anything else we need to look for ??
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:49:42 pm by mart »

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 10:07:46 am »
Lol I agree about the mountain goats that is for sure.  I will contact circleware, good idea.  I also thought I would try and focus more on the edging style to determine something,what I am not sure, what is your opinion on that idea Mart?
My baby's plate, I am trying to determine a value of some sort.  I am like a fish out of water right now, trying my hand at something I really have no idea about but I am so glad you guys are here to guide me patiently.
Thanks  :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 11:28:28 am »
I looked at a few of the other hand painted plates and the prices ran around $35.  LOL !!  You sound like me,, something doesn`t sit right and I am like a dog with a bone,,I don`t let it go !!  Let me look again at yours,,!!