Author Topic: Egyptian relief  (Read 3035 times)

Fa123

• View Profile
Egyptian relief
« on: September 20, 2016, 02:51:18 pm »
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum, so thanks to the forum creator and to all the other members.

I would like to ask an opinion regarding a piece I bought in an antique shop.

It is an Egyptian relief representing a Pharaon and his wife (I could not identify which Pharaon it is).

This is the first time I approach Egyptian art so sorry for being naif.

As I said I researched a bit and I can say that there is no sigh of being forged from a mold, the sand that is present in the corners of the relief lines is not hard, with a brush is easily removable, I compared with style of what I found on the web and could not find clear inconsistencies, hieroglyphics seems to be possible, but I've no idea about the correct order.

Can I have your opinion, please?

I had very good fun in the research and I would like to see if I am totally wrong or maybe on the right path.

I attach two images, but I can add more if needed.

I do thank in advance all of you that would like to give me a hand.

Cheers!

Fa123

• View Profile
Re: Egyptian relief
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 02:54:46 pm »
Send image :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:02:03 pm »
Neat find !!  Where are you located ??  Is it smooth and finished on the back or rough ??

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 01:46:53 pm »
What you have is most likely modern made using traditional tools and techniques for the tourists. I bought a bunch of them when I was in Egypt. They are great and look wonderful hanging on the wall! It is illegal to ship anything over 100 years old out of Egypt and the only Egyptian antiquities that are sold are those that were brought out prior to when the laws changed. I believe this was under Nassar. If this were an actual ancient carving it would be worth thousands. The ones made by modern Egyptians, no matter how talented, sell for a few dollars in Egypt, and a little more outside of Egypt, maybe $20 or $30-ish. Sorry I do not have better news for you.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 04:46:26 pm »
Thats kind of what I thought too !!  Still a neat find !!

Fa123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 02:09:43 am »
I see, well there was the hope, but also I was thinking I could be that lucky :)

Just, to aswer at the first quetion I sent the picture of the back.

I leave in Glasgow.

It anyway looks good on my library :) Or maybe I can sell it for that 20$ to cash in something for the next buy:)

Thanks a lot for you answer, it is very much appreciated!

Have a good day

Fa123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 02:18:11 am »
Hi, sorry for the double message.

Can I ask you what I should look for in order to spot fake next time.

For instance what is wrong with my relief that makes you say that is for sure a fake, please?

I am very interested in learning more.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:30:29 am »
http://www.museumize.com/collections/culture-egyptian-museum-replicas

What we are saying is that the possibility of its being ancient is quite remote !!  Even museums create similar items to be sold in their gift shops when they have a showing of Egyptian artifacts !!  Look through the items at top !!  As they say,,these are created and aged to look ancient !!
You can always take it to a museum and have the curator look at it to be sure !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 08:17:22 am »
"It is illegal to ship anything over 100 years old out of Egypt and the only Egyptian antiquities that are sold are those that were brought out prior to when the laws changed."

I think that says it all.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 08:47:00 am »
He bought it at an antique shop so the shop owner would have known what it was before putting it for sale if they were smart !!
Did you ask the shop owner about it ??

Fa123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 02:26:46 pm »
I wasn't doubting about your opinion, I totally do not have any experience in Egyptian art, I was just interested in learning more about recognising a fake.

But, if we can say that the real ones are just the only one in collections so if they are real then they will be sold for thousand then is fine to me to use it as a role :)

The owner when I bought it told me that the relief was coming from a house clearance and he just bought with the rest, he did not have knowledge about Egyptian art so he sold it to me for 15£.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 05:36:58 pm »
Well, the tourist items are "aged" with tea, dirt and other things to make them appear old. For comparison of an ancient item's patina, you would need to visit a museum with artifacts or work with someone who owns them.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 07:47:54 pm »
I wasn't doubting about your opinion, I totally do not have any experience in Egyptian art, I was just interested in learning more about recognising a fake.

But, if we can say that the real ones are just the only one in collections so if they are real then they will be sold for thousand then is fine to me to use it as a role :)

The owner when I bought it told me that the relief was coming from a house clearance and he just bought with the rest, he did not have knowledge about Egyptian art so he sold it to me for 15£.

Oh !!  We quite understand !!  I have no direct knowledge of Egyptian artifacts either !!  Sometimes you just have to look at what the possibilities are !! There are more "new" antiquities coming from the middle east than anywhere I know of !!  Problem is,, they do a really good job of aging them !!

Fa123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 08:08:23 am »
Thanks!

Can I ask another question? In case it would have been not a fake would I have been hollowed to sell it considering that I don't have anymore the receipt and I cannot prove the origin or that is mine?

Thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 02:08:24 pm »
More than likely you would not have been able to sell it without documentation !!  They get pretty strict about that !!  Same thing with Ivory !!   But you do not have much invested and it has a unique look,, just sell it as a reproduction !!  Do a google search for "Egyptian artifacts forum" You can probably get ideas on the legal issues from them !! Post pics on your item and get other opinions !!