Author Topic: Any Pepsi Cola Collectors in the forum??  (Read 9474 times)

debc

• View Profile
Pepsi, oops
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 04:31:44 pm »
The inside of the cap appears to be plastic and there are 21 teeth on the cap.  The first thing the collector did when looking at the bottle was to see if it was tampered with in anyway and determined it had not been and that it had to have come from the plant like that.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/182316227756?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

It would be incredible if there were a couple buyers vying for our bottle but I am trying to keep any excitement in check.  Meanwhile today I went through some of my own stuff and purchased a few new things to share  :D 

Looks like I started another thread, not sure how I did that.  Can anyone move it to the Pepsi thread or delete it altogether and I will re-post where it belongs.  Thanks
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:59:18 pm by debc »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Pepsi, oops
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 05:03:30 pm »
You did it right !!  Excellent listing !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 05:07:12 pm »
Yes, very well done!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 06:16:10 pm »
Thanks, that is reassuring.  Hmmm what else can I try to auction off  ::)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 06:35:00 pm »
Hubby ?? ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Any Pepsi Cola Collectors in the forum??
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 08:07:24 pm »
Mart you are funny!      Hope this merged right.  Let me know if it didn't.

Good luck on the bids!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 04:26:11 am »
Just not sure how that got filled. 

This was most likely done by an individual!

KC, if debc found out the cap on the bottle is from 1986 and the bottle from 1953 then I can agree 100% with you on the above.

Now I kinda sorta dislike popping anyone's "bubble" but it is really not a big deal for someone to remove a "crown n' cork" cap from a soda or beer bottle, take a couple gulps to quince their thirst, and then replace the cap to prevent their libation from going "flat" (all the CO2 escaping and causing scads of Anthropogenic Global Warming Climate Change). :'( :'( :'( :'(

A 1st cousin  of mine, long gone now, worked at the Crown Cork & Seal plant in Baltimore, Maryland.  http://www.crowncork.com/about-crown/history-and-timeline

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 05:27:52 am »
Interesting timeline for Crown. I collected beer cans when I was a kid, and I remember having a number of "Crowntainer" cans from the 1940s. Cool stuff!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 07:52:42 am »
It moved over, thanks so much.

Cogar, that would be anyone's first thought is that it was recapped, but that is not the case, at least according to the collector who came to see the bottle.  That is the first thing he looked for.  Also, this is a full bottle, purchased by my husband from a pop machine in 86. 

Auction off the hubby and keep the proceeds of the bottle, is that your thought Mart ? Hmmm, I'd better keep him, he's the one who works around here.  Retirement age soon, a couple more years, when that happens I may have to re-think it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:49:53 am by debc »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 10:24:05 am »

Cogar, that would be anyone's first thought is that it was recapped, but that is not the case, at least according to the collector who came to see the bottle.  That is the first thing he looked for.  Also, this is a full bottle, purchased by my husband from a pop machine in 86. 

Allrighty, .....debc, ..... I have found the most likely explanation for resolving the quandary of this discussion, ....... to wit: 

The following was excerpted from:

Returnable Soda Bottles  -  Monday, 16 January 2006

http://mercurie.blogspot.com/2006/01/returnable-soda-bottles.html

It was in 1935 that Owens-Illnois introduced the non-returnable bottle. It was embraced immediately by beer manufacturers, although soda makers were a bit more hesitant. It was not until 1964 that Pepsi Cola announced it was developing a non-returnable bottle. Other soda makers would eventually follow suit. With environmental awareness growing in the Sixties, the nonreturnable bottles were not a hit with everyone. In 1970 protestors dumped a number of nonreturnable bottles in front of Coke's headquarters in Atlanta. The early Seventies would also see the first bottle deposit legislation introduced in many states.

Despite the advent of the nonreturnable bottle and canned soda, returnables did not disappear overnight. Instead, it seems to me that they gradually fell out of use. Gradually shoppers decided they preferred the convenience of nonreturnable bottles and cans to the returnable bottles which they would have had to pack back to the grocery store. Grocers also found that they preferred not having to deal with the returnable bottles. Without them there would be no need of large bins that took up space. As the Eighties progressed, the nonreturnable bottles gradually disappeared from store shelves until they simply were no more.

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 11:03:55 am »
Were they still filling 1953 bottles in 1986 ?
I remember going to my Grandmas in the early 60s.  My uncles would give me a couple bottles and I would go to the corner store and turn them in for candy.  I think I got 5 cents for them and that meant a lot of penny candy.
Just recently my Grandmas house was torn down for a large grocery store and that corner store has been gone forever.  :-[

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 12:34:58 pm »
Just had a good long soak in some bubbles. I do my best thinking there and I think you have the answer cogar.  Thanks so much for the info, it clears up what I thought to be a big mystery.
Now I can just hope that not many were still around in '86, nobody else kept them unopened etc etc etc.  I guess I will find out in 8 more days if it is valuable or not.  I am glad I did not put one of a kind in the ad.  We were told that, but who really knows for sure right, and you just proved that.  Thanks again.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 11:39:43 pm »
My only concern is that you put in the ad that "due to the age of the item that it isn't guaranteed to be consumable but is being sold as a collectible item".

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 04:47:00 am »
debc, in actuality, it is the when n' where (place-date) that the "pop" bottle was made that determines it's "collectible value".

And your bottle was either made in Canada ...... or made in the USA for a Canadian Pepsi Cola bottler, in 1953 ...... and was re-filled and re-distributed for the last time ..... in 1986,

And ps: .... So, it's the "mark" on the bottom, ........ "Canada - 1953" ... that determines it's rarity. and thus it's value.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:53:08 am by cogar »

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 09:29:25 am »
Copied and pasted KC, never thought of that, but I guess one should not assume.