Author Topic: New addition, looking for information on a china cabinet  (Read 4614 times)

JJT

• View Profile
Re: New addition, looking for information on a china cabinet
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 05:32:27 am »
Lots of great info.  I appreciate it.

I'll probably have another one to post sooner than later

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 05:43:39 am »
Back in the 30`s most of the varnish used was what is called a red varnish and had a distinct dark color intended to accent the wood grain !! Problem with it was over time it continued to darken which is why we see so much furniture of this era a much darker hue than this piece is !!  This looks like it has a modern clear polyurethane type finish !! And it has a sheen that is typical of a newer refinish !!
 Another thing is I see no evidence of use !!  Just touching furniture with the hands will age wood over time as will the act of just polishing it !!  Its almost inevitable that over time anything made of wood will show signs of use !!
This piece has a very even finish which is unlikely !!
And two of the screws on the lock show some damage so one assumes that the lock was removed at some point then replaced !!
Some darker areas around the appliques where it  isn`t easy to get to !!

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 05:49:17 am »
Back in the 30`s most of the varnish used was what is called a red varnish and had a distinct dark color intended to accent the wood grain !! Problem with it was over time it continued to darken which is why we see so much furniture of this era a much darker hue than this piece is !!  This looks like it has a modern clear polyurethane type finish !! And it has a sheen that is typical of a newer refinish !!
 Another thing is I see no evidence of use !!  Just touching furniture with the hands will age wood over time as will the act of just polishing it !!  Its almost inevitable that over time anything made of wood will show signs of use !!
This piece has a very even finish which is unlikely !!
And two of the screws on the lock show some damage so one assumes that the lock was removed at some point then replaced !!
Some darker areas around the appliques where it  isn`t easy to get to !!

The lock looked pretty old, as well.  Here's a picture of the lock/key on the front.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 05:51:21 am »
Mart makes some good points, although I don't think it has been refinished, either. In this price range (probably $100-$200 in my area) it wouldn't matter anyway. Sometimes the value can even go up, especially if the original finish was in poor condition.

The love for original finishes kicks in at a much higher price bracket; with Victorian stuff, I'd say at least at the $1K+ level. Jacon's 18th century high end stuff really benefits when the finish is original, sometimes to the tune of thousands of $.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 05:53:41 am »
Mart makes some good points, although I don't think it has been refinished, either. In this price range (probably $100-$200 in my area) it wouldn't matter anyway. Sometimes the value can even go up, especially if the original finish was in poor condition.

The love for original finishes kicks in at a much higher price bracket; with Victorian stuff, I'd say at least at the $1K+ level. Jacon's 18th century high end stuff really benefits when the finish is original, sometimes to the tune of thousands of $.

Yeah I paid 150$ US for it. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 06:02:27 am »
No,, in this case a good refinish actually helps the value and this was well done !! The demand for furniture from this era is not great !!  They simply made too much of it !!   The pic of the key is blurry but even in it you can see the remains of the darker varnish it would have had !!
Still value about $200. in most areas as Ghopper said !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 11:48:56 am »
Jacon's 18th century high end stuff really benefits when the finish is original, sometimes to the tune of thousands of $.

Yeah, it does but it's very rare, much rarer actually than claimed, which is a problem in the antique industry. Claiming this, that and the other thing when in fact it's totally different. Sunlight degrades a finish, in fact its a major component, so unless one happens to have a mansion that the family has lived in for the last 300 years and then stashed some furniture in a spare bedroom that gets no sunlight, the chances of having an original finish are almost zero.
That said, it does happen but, it's very rare and it is hideously expensive when it comes on the market.

Yup, just call it a "Depression" era China Cabinet.

UHHHHHHHHHH, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, lol. If you are trying to sell it, "depression" just doesn't have a good ring to it, i'd go with vintage or early 20th century.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:42:06 pm by jacon4 »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 12:52:08 pm »
Quoting from Reply #13:

If someone refinished it, I dont know about it.  The surface looks pretty untouched to me, but Im not a furniture expert or I wouldnt be askin.  Though I dont see any indication its been re-done.  How would I know ?

JJT, to re-finish a piece of wood furniture one has to remove the old “finish”, which can be either paint, varnish, lacquer or oil. Oil is not often used for a “finish” on furniture, but when it is, linseed or tung oil is primarily used. For an “oil finish” on wood floors you use a special type of oil which I don’t recall the name of.

And to re-finish a wooden item, you first have to remove the old finish. And to do that you have to scrape or sand it off, …. or use a “heat” gun and putty knife/scrapers, ….. or use a liquid or gel “paint and varnish” remover …….. or use lacquer “thinner” if the finish is lacquer. (and sometimes ya gotta use "all of the above")

Now I told you the above “re-finishing” trivia simply because re-finishing leaves “tracks” iffen you know where to look for them. 

Inside “edges”, bottom “edges”, backside “edges” and “top” edges …… and both “inside” and “outside” corners ……. are where you look for those “tracks”.

“Tracks” that were left by the “re-finishing” process …… and/or …….. “tracks” of the “original” finish that were NOT removed by the “re-finishing” process.

;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:57:45 pm by cogar »

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 06:03:33 pm »
Very informative.  It'll help me negotiate prices on this stuff :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 07:35:42 pm »
I agree with age range as well.  In my area price range would be $150 - $250 (depending on condition).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!