Author Topic: Old folding leaf library table help  (Read 4484 times)

Mr tables

• View Profile
Old folding leaf library table help
« on: November 03, 2016, 07:47:43 pm »
Cleaned this table up and haven't decided on protection poly,shellac,oil. Was also wondering what kind of value this unique old table has ,fair price cleaned up looking good here are my pictures,before stall.have yet to get any pics before final finish. Any help on value is appreciated I have no idea. Thank you

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Old folding leaf library table help
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:15:11 pm »
You have what I have come to know as a Butterfly Leaf or Butterfly Draw Leaf table.  Your table could be called a Hall Table, a Library Table, a Dining Table these days.  Truly enjoy the uniqueness of these tables!  So smart to have the leaf inside the table itself!

Take a look/see at this one for sale on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-English-Oak-DINING-TABLE-Sofa-Table-w-Butterfly-DRAW-LEAF-Jacobean-/351892274911

Some of the other crew on the forum are better to help you out on the finishes.  Typically see this in a medium to dark finish.  Very saleable in my area.  $600 - $1800 depending on style and condition. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:26:20 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Mr tables

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 11:25:10 pm »
That is a beautiful table I am hoping for the same results, thank you so much for your help,I'm new to the forums and I realy appreciate any help,thank you again  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:39:03 pm »
Welcome Mr. Tables!  Glad you're here and sharing your treasures! 

These tables are so handy to have around - especially with those living with limited space.  It's multi functionality makes it a real winner in my opinion!

I am sure some will pipe in tomorrow to help you answer your finishing questions!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 04:24:38 am »
That is a lovely little table !!  And very handy !!  Probably late 20`s or early 30`s !!  If the finish is OK but just needs freshening up  try a couple of coats of walnut oil and a good buffing !!  That is the same oil you use for cutting boards in the kitchen !!  Its a bit lighter than linseed oil and soaks in better !!   If that is not enough,, try one of the hand rubbed poly finishes !!  A low gloss would look better to me but use what you like !!

Mr tables

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 10:19:16 pm »
Hello and thank you all,here is where I am with my table I wasn't happy with the clean up so I stripped it down,sanded my fingers off and restrained I am so happy I did it is a beautiful table,I am sitting now at post stained,not sure if I should spray poly,hand rub poly or oil it.any help be great.i am hoping to list this item for sale,I must say after all the hours of work nod the outcome it will be tough to let go,but I need extra cash to go see my son graduate marine boot camp,something I cannot miss. God bless all the men and women who serve.
Thank you all again so very much.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 12:39:16 am »
God bless all the men and women who serve.
TOTALLY AGREE!!!!  Thank your son for us.  What an honorable thing to do.  Most of my family was Army, Navy and Air Force.  Any idea where he will be going after boot camp?

I am sure the others are busy with the weekend and will check in fairly soon.  I am generally an oil person HOWEVER when it comes to pieces that are more apt to be exposed to water/food I like a good protectant on them - and like a good wax for antiques. 

This is such a beautiful piece! I don't believe you will have a hard time selling it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 09:55:07 am »
Military family here too !!  Another thanks to your son !! 
As to the table,, I would have advised not sanding it !!  Sanding removes all the natural patina wood acquires with age !! But it is done and can`t reverse it so just have to work with it !!  What color stain did you use ??  I would use a couple of extra coats to try to bring the top back up to a color more like the legs !!  Then a low gloss brush on !!  The sprays work well for smaller things but on something like this it is difficult to get an even spray unless you have a hand spray rig !!  The brush on will self level !!  Just buff well with 0000 steel wool to smooth it all out between coats and wipe well to remove dust !!  The 0000 steel wool is soft as cotton almost and will not hurt the finish as long as its dry !!  You can add a bit of oil to the steel wool for last buffing but do not use poly after the oil buff !!  Just hand rub to a soft glow !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 12:08:15 pm »
I agree with Mart, from the pictures it looks as if the top could use some more darkening to it - otherwise you have a mismatch!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 05:36:18 pm »
The 0000 steel wool is soft as cotton almost and will not hurt the finish as long as its dry !!

True but, i am not a fan of steel wool anymore, i prefer 2000 sandpaper sanded wet, why? Because most of the poly today is water based and if you leave any steel on piece, even dust, it will rust.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 06:31:23 pm »
I would not use a water based poly !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 06:38:50 pm »
lol, that's because you are stuck on that tree stump! Take that english pear table i refinished, poly came out of a spray can! Easy as pie, no brushes, no messes, light 2000 grit sand between 2 or 3 coats that dry in an hour, followed by a buff with paste wax and BAM! all done!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 06:57:47 am »
I use the spray stuff too just not water based !!  If you use an oil based stain and an oil based varnish you can add some stain to the varnish to increase the depth of color !!  This table will need that !! 

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 10:43:18 am »
Yeah, they have both in those handy dandy spray cans now, i don't really remember which i used but, i like the 2000 grit paper, it's better than wool because you don't have to worry about leaving anything behind and, if you use water with it, it's almost like using a rubbing compound between coats, makes for a really nice smooth finish.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 01:05:44 pm »
Well,, you know I am old and set in my ways !!