Author Topic: Antique French Buffet - Can Anyone Figure Out What The Carved Item Is?  (Read 1725 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Hi All!

I love perusing pieces for sale and found this beautiful antique French Buffet.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the carved items hanging from the ribbon is (each door has one).  I even inquired from the seller what it was and they responded that they are not sure what it is.

So...any ideas?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252467481957?euid=f39049f63fb846a8b558feaca8ea4f44&bu=43215280630&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: Antique French Buffet - Can Anyone Figure Out What The Carved Item Is?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 07:03:05 am »
Not a clue! It's Victorian! that is the beginning & end of my knowledge on this carving. Where is ghopper, he is into victorian. I know a little about american victorian, nothing about european.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:57:55 am by jacon4 »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 03:47:46 pm »
It looks like it might have been meant to hold the name of the purchaser, or even the carver.

The rectangular form symbolizes stability and serenity, the four corners sometimes symbolizing the four corners of the earth.

"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:39:47 pm »
Very interesting...  I had wondered if it was to have at least a monogram in it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

CaroTry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:21:39 am »
I agree with Ghopper here, that's the first thing I saw, an emplacement for a carving of some sort.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 05:48:45 am »
I think it represents something of importance to a specific group of people, ..... ya know, ..... like a Masonic emblem. 

Maybe this enlargement will help. [hafta try it again]

That didn't work either. This System10 really PO's now n' then.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:14:18 am by cogar »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:04:54 am »
Look at the ends of the ribbon,,does that look like a snakes head to you ??  I looked  at Cogars enlargement with a magnifying glass !! Looks like it is !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 11:15:19 am »
I remember seeing the same shaped item that was made of a golden metal in my Grandfather's workshop when I was growing up.  He was a carpenter and mason (stone).  Helped build many dams in the US.  I remember it was made of two pieces that were molded to fit around each other (as you can see the curved pieces over the main center piece) and only moved slightly (because of being two pieces).  There were no rivets/screws.  No moveable function for it.  No handle on the back only smooth 1 piece - shaped around the front piece.

Trying to enlarge the pics also cogar...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:41:51 am by KC »