Author Topic: Jester Floor Lamp  (Read 3375 times)

JSPRING4022

• View Profile
Jester Floor Lamp
« on: November 20, 2016, 02:07:43 pm »
Hi everyone,

I came across your community while trying to research a lamp I recently purchased.  Hoping anyone here has some idea as to the origin of this piece!  I recently found this lamp in Upstate New York.  I have so far been unable to find markings of any kind to help place the date or manufacturer.  The materials used are wood for the frame of the  base, what appears to be a kind of fiberglass and plaster for the main construction of the base and Jester body.  The Jester's jacket and head piece are made from real cloth.  ?Metal used for the pole, and  of course a glass globe.  The electrical plug is 2 prong, with exposed electrical connections.  The cord is NOT cloth, so my best guess is 50's. After searching on and off for a few weeks, I am so far unable to find anything that resembles this, so I am resorting to the experts!  Thank you in advance for reading and any help you may be able to provide! 

mart

• View Profile
Re: Jester Floor Lamp
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 04:26:25 pm »
OK This one is was made different from yours but,,could be the same maker,,St Marceau !!  Think yours is earlier than 50`s but may have been rewired !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:36:41 pm »
Mart, there isn't a link!

This one reminds me more of Peter Pan than a Jester or Harlequin.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:41:33 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 08:22:06 am »
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=St+Marceau+harlequin+jester+floor+lamp

Darn,, what happened to it !!  Back in a minute !!  Here is the google page !!  I looked at the first one,,the 1879 !!  And forgot the X on St. Marceaux !!  This one may have been rewired at some time !!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:26:18 am by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:36:32 am »

This one reminds me more of Peter Pan than a Jester or Harlequin.

Agree re: Peter Pan. i think the first performance was in 1954, so the figure's styling makes perfect sense.....1950s. However, the rest of the lamp, particularly the base, looks older to me.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 02:47:54 pm »
But there are no Peter Pan floor lamps that I can find !!  And would not likely have that kind of base in the 50`s !! 

Have you looked underneath & around the base well for a foundry mark ?? 

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 06:32:39 pm »
I wish I could be of more help (And believe me, I've been trying). Several years ago I had a very similar lamp in my shop that I acquired through an auction house without any history attached. Mine had a female pixie-like figure with a fabric dress and head covering.
I had no knowledge of the lamps origin, until one day a lady from the Chicago area came into the shop. She was surprised to see the lamp, and remarked: “Oh, you have one of ___?___'s lamps!”. She went on to explain and named a fairly well known band member from the 60's who had a home in Chicago, and within that home there were a small group of these figural lamps. After his death there was an auction of the contents, including the aforementioned lamps. Other than hearing this verbal background I never followed up on researching it any further. I ended up selling the lamp to a doll collector for about $300 at the time.
I've asked my Wife if she can remember the name of that musician, but both of us are at a loss...sorry.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 06:42:25 pm »
Oh No Rauville !!  Just when we need that memory of yours !!  Marbro made reproductions of St. Marceaux lamps in the 50`s !!  But his jesters were not like this one !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 11:59:24 pm »
This looks/feels like a custom made piece.  To hear that the base is wood and fiberglass sounds like it could have even been made by a movie set/prop maker!?!  IT might have been for a store display window for Christmas, etc.

Now they did make mannequin lamps and people still do.  (try searching "mannequin lamp" and then try "elf mannequin lamp").
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:10:25 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

JSPRING4022

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 06:56:55 am »
Thank you to everyone who has helped and is offering ideas!  My first impression when I saw pictures of the lamp was that it was a character from an old movie or cartoon, but once I was able to inspect it in person and take it home I came to the changed my mind to the Jester/Harlequin. 

I have looked underneath the lamp and all around the base, I have still not been able to find any sort of markings or additional information.  I was able to find a few items that do look similar by searching: https://www.google.com/search?q=rare+mid+century+life+size+pixie+statue+floor+lamp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBs8rYs7zQAhUKwiYKHa56DzAQsAQIHA&biw=1366&bih=662

The story of the musicians pieces is fascinating, and am hoping one day you remember the name! 

Thank you all again for looking and helping me to learn a little bit more about this piece!  If any additional pictures would help, please let me know!  I will be sure to update as well any new information I am able to find. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:52:08 pm by KC »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 02:46:31 pm »
You know,, I completely missed the wood/fiberglass mentioned !! I have been thinking metal base !!  KC that first link,, I get a blank page !!  I have seen all the others !!  Two of those links mentioned ARP being on the dimmer switch/electrical components !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 02:51:42 pm »
Reposted the link Mart - it works now.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 07:18:37 pm »
Is the column where the jesters feet are resting also wood/fiberglass ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 11:58:27 pm »
Mart they posted this
The materials used are wood for the frame of the  base, what appears to be a kind of fiberglass and plaster for the main construction of the base and Jester body.