Author Topic: Any info on this table and chairs?  (Read 5630 times)

ddenali

• View Profile
Any info on this table and chairs?
« on: December 01, 2016, 01:13:55 pm »
Anybody know anything about this set at all?

The following is what I have been told about it
#1 English pub table from the early 1900s
#2 Oak and dates from the 1940s
#3 Tavern table
#4 Refectory table
#5 Draw leaf table circa 1930s 50s

I got it from my mother but no idea how old it is or the time period it is from or the value.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Any info on this table and chairs?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 07:11:12 pm »
Ha !!  Welcome to the world of old furniture !!  Confusing isn`t it ??  Well,, it isn`t a refectory table but is known by the other names !!  Rather than draw leaf it is a drop leaf table to be correct !!  If the leaf were supported by a leg that swings out from the base it is a gate leg table !!  Yours looks to be 30`s or 40`s from what I can see !!  Pub table is a catch all term for a small table such as this drop leaf or not !!  Same for Tavern table !!  Many tables have been sold similar to this that never saw the inside of  a pub or tavern !!  But it sound better for sales than "used kitchen/dining table" !!  Chairs are about the same age but I do not think they are a set !!  Its just as possible that this table was used in a pub or tavern as any of them !!
Remember big kitchens were not always the norm !!  I think these were just space savers for small kitchens !!  Could be used as a dining table and then pushed against the wall when not needed also used as counter top for food preparation !!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:41:43 pm by mart »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:47:36 am »
Rather than draw leaf it is a drop leaf table to be correct !!

Mart, why do you prefer calling it a “drop leaf” ….. rather than a “draw leaf”, …. or “hidden leaf” ..... or “pull-out leaf”?

Cool antique hidden leaf dining table

Marvelous Pull Out Table Mechanism #3 - Hidden Pull Out Kitchen Table

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 07:08:46 am »
Because when the support is moved the leaf actually drops down to the sides !!  A draw leaf would be like the first pic you have,, the leaf is drawn from below the top !! A draw leaf does not drop down !!   You know me Cogar,, just a technical thing !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:33:50 am »
Yep, I am goin with the old woman on this one. Even a blind squirrel is gonna find an acorn every now n then!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 09:54:51 am »
Draw leaf tables were probably invented in the Netherlands but became quite popular in Elizabethan (mid 16th century) england. There are no known period American draw leaf tables that survive, kinda like wainscot beds, none of those either. I guess both forms were just to cumbersome to deal with and, they just didn't survive in the rough & tumble world of 17th century america. They are neat tables though and they are still made today in custom work, here is a video of how one actually works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDRUx1Wq2kQ
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:01:12 am by jacon4 »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 11:58:47 am »
Mart, I am curious, ….. when looking at the top picture of the 1st post, …. just what purpose does the board that is located underneath “the center portion” of the tabletop provide ……. to or for ….. the functioning of the table?

Both pictures that I posted have the same "center board" underneath the center portion of the tabletop.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 12:24:02 pm »
In looking at OP post in pic #2, the underneath photo of table, it looks like those could be "bearers" that support the leafs in a draw leaf table and if so, i go with posters option #5 Draw leaf table circa 1930s 50s

Similar to Cogar pics of modern draw leaf tables.

just what purpose does the board that is located underneath “the center portion”

That board is called a center board, only use would be to allow room for leafs in a draw leaf table. I didn't see it before in pic #1 but i see it now that cogar pointed it out.

Mart is correct in her descriptions between tables but i think posters table is a modern draw leaf table with traditional wood "bearers". Bearers = sliders that support the leaf attached underneath.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:41:35 pm by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 12:48:53 pm »
Just googled antique draw leaf table and guess who pops up? marhamchurch, our buddy from another thread on boxes i think. link is a period draw leaf, about 1575
http://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/antique/elizabethan-oak-draw-leaf-table-2/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 02:46:14 pm »
Hang on,, let me go look !!  OK,, I did see that and really had no idea what it was for since it is behind the table skirt !! The leaf hangs below the table skirt and it appeared that the leaf was out since I could not see it !!  You can see that the skirt is continuous from the corner !!
Really need a pic underneath the leaf while it is out to see the supports !!

Perhaps the person should explain how this table works !!  I assumed a drop leaf from the appearance !!  But may be a draw leaf !!
Now how did I get this screwed up,,my post are at the top instead of at the bottom where they belong !!  Must have hit a wrong key but which one ??

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:10:35 pm by mart »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 03:06:31 pm »
These are english tables aren't they? OP table as well as cogar pics. I don't see this style much on the east coast usa or maybe i just wasn't looking. I have no clue about value but i would say it's a 20th century table, mid century sounds about right.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:11:53 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 03:11:10 pm »
Yes it is an English table !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 03:15:21 pm »
Yes it is an English table !!

Well, there you go! Draw leafs were never as popular here in the states as they were in GB, they tend to be cumbersome & heavy.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 06:20:51 am »
That board is called a center board, only use would be to allow room for leafs in a draw leaf table. I didn't see it before in pic #1 but i see it now that cogar pointed it out.

Well I was sure hoping that someone would notice it after I asked what its purpose was. ;D ;D ;D

And ps: good cabinetmakers don't include extra wood pieces that don't serve a purpose.

When you see something that looks "odd" ....... then always ask yourself ..... "Now why did he do that?"
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:26:00 am by cogar »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 06:31:20 am »
Well, pics are not great and still not positive it is a modern draw leaf but pic #2 sure looks like wood bearers/sliders which is a feature of all draw leaf tables. Where are our GB posters? They should be able to help with value, it is almost certain this table is modern as you can see steel "blocking" in pic #2 at apron corner.