Author Topic: YOUR most recent acquisition!  (Read 6826 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
YOUR most recent acquisition!
« on: February 16, 2017, 06:20:20 am »
OK, we had fun with the new Ghopper etagere in another thread.

What is YOUR newest acquisition??? Post photos!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: YOUR most recent acquisition!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:04:33 pm »
This is an easy one for me, since last summer! The bird chest (sans birds)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 01:59:13 pm »
One of my forum favorites. I would SO like to have a bird chest like that one. Oh well, it's only money.... ::)

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:45 pm »
Yes, i am honored to look after it, if only for a short while. Considering it's age, an incredible survivor. Hey, you CAN have a pilgrim chest for half what they were going for 20 years ago, last 2 recently sold for 20k, a bargain!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 11:28:10 am »
Wish I had something to post here but everything is packed up again...still remodeling/moving/shifting things.

So...BUMP...maybe someone can show us their newest acquisitions!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 01:05:37 pm »
Nice find
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:57:33 am by Chrislondo-London »

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 01:06:27 pm »
I have something similar
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:58:01 am by Chrislondo-London »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 01:41:51 pm »
One of the things that is coming with the old stone house is a large antique harvest table that the sellers did not want to take with them. We are planning to go with rustic 18th century style pewter plates, the wooden dough/butter bowl posted earlier etc. We also hope to be able to uncover the cooking hearth that is currently behind the paneling on the wall and have some nice cast iron sitting around that.

In looking into 18th century style tavern tableware, I realized that Toby jugs have been around since the late 18th, early 19th century. Originally they were used to pour "Stingo" a strong type of ale. The crown of the tricorn hat served as a little drinking cup, however it is very rare to find one with the hat crown intact and most aren't made with them. The old school Tobies were the full body ones, not the head and shoulders mugs. Some of the popular styles from the early days are still produced today and they have been produced by hundreds of manufacturers over the years.

I just won an auction for this guy. I was the only bidder and got him for $18.95. (a similar one from the same mold with slightly different blue paint and mark is selling for $195 on Ruby Lane) I did a bit of hunting and if I did my homework correctly, it looks like he is apparently French faience, late 19th century. I've got an email in to the American Toby Museum to try to get confirmation. That's my latest acquisition. :-D

Antiqueaholic in recovery

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 01:58:34 pm »
Neat history! Pewter tableware was the late 17th/early 18th century invention that was supposed to put wood turners out of business thought turners of the day! because prior to pewter, turners made the plates, bowls, mugs, etc. out of wood that ordinary people used at their tables. Naturally, they didn't go out of biz, it just changed but, they did lose a lot of tableware biz in which they had dominated for centuries.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:03:29 pm by jacon4 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 02:19:59 pm »
Interesting info on the cutlery! I did not know that. Thanks Jacon4!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 02:42:04 pm »
Yeah, funny how technology changes things. Wood turners HATED pewter! and for obvious reasons. Check out this  Elizabethan sycamore goblet, about 1580. It sold for 14k and it is really lovely, i dunno about 14,000 lovely but very nice example of wood turner work. Better pic at the link
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/an-elizabethan-sycamore-goblet-circa-1580-5323646-details.aspx
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:00:47 pm by jacon4 »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 04:13:48 pm »
14K for a wooden cup? Still, it IS really cool.  Love the Toby as well. It certainly looks the part, and it was quite a bargain. Once you get established in the stone house, Tales, you'll have to set up a kitchen tableau with all your period stuff.

-Broderick Crawford

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 06:53:10 pm »
Love the goblet, but yes, that's a lot of money! I will definitely post pictures of the house when we get settled in. We're not moving in until late April, so it will be a while yet.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 12:45:56 am »
Yours reminds me of one I saw on another site that was delft blue/white so I went to find it -
https://www.rubylane.com/item/1215952-356/Dutch-Delft-Toby-Jug-Signed-19th

http://www.1818auctioneers.co.uk/sales/lot/36083/82/459/A-blue-and-white-Toby-jug-in-the-18th-century-blue-and-white-Delft-style/

Yours sure looks pristine - hope it is an old original but from the pics I can't see any crazing from age, etc.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 08:10:06 am »
14K for a wooden cup?

Well, blame it on housewives! They are the ones who switched from wood to pewter! I can just imagine how that conversation went between the lady of the house and the wood turner when informed she had switched to pewter tableware in 17th century america & europe.
PEWTER!!!! LADY! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU! LOOK AT THIS CUP! IT'S SOLID SYCAMORE! IT'S GORGEOUS! IT WILL LAST FOR CENTURIES!

But alas, it wasn't to be, as anyone can tell you, when the woman of the house has made a decision, THAT'S THAT! Pewter was IN, wood was OUT!