Author Topic: storage locker finds!  (Read 8279 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: storage locker finds!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 09:23:20 pm »
I want some spider lilies!!! 

This is a tiger lily known as Oniyuri in Japan.  鬼百合

http://collections.lacma.org/node/190617

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:29:19 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 04:28:39 am »
Hi thanks for the replies everyone! next up a slightly naive or primitive water colour of the river teign (just a couple of miles away, one of my favorite drinking holes is at the mouth of the estuary so i know this place pretty well!) its monogrammed and dated 1806. I've searched the artists signature database for EH, FH and HH but havent found any that match up to the date.

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 05:41:41 am »
Douglas Houzen Pinder 1886-1949 Newquay Artist

Douglas Houzen Pinder is one artist that spent many years in Newquay. Born in 1886 and with his father dying the following year, by 1901 he had moved, with his mother, to Newquay, where she was an Infant Mistress at a Boarding School, with Douglas articled to a local architect.

In 1908 Douglas Pinder married married Edith Jane Osborne from St Wenn, near to Padstow and Wadebridge.  He started to paint watercolours in 1911.

During the 1914-1918 war, Pinder was a Conscientious Objector, a member of the Plymouth Brethren, and he took a job as a postman.  His initial application for exemption was dismissed and Pinder had to answer questions about his faith and Christianity before being granted exemption from combatant service only, in June 1916.

After the war he ventured to Egypt, having been commissioned to paint many desert scenes close to Port Said. After that he moved to Devon and returned to Newquay in 1930.

By 1930 Douglas Pinder had his own art gallery, called Towan Studios, at 80 Fore Street, Newquay. Pinder painted many watercolours and a far smaller number of oils. He usually painted seascapes, often including detail which allowed the location to be clearly identified. He never owned a car, so the location of his paintings was limited to how far he could walk or travel on his bicycle, which was adapted to carry his painting equipment. He would also have been able to use public transport, or possibly occasional trips with friends or neighbours. Most of his paintings are of Newquay or the North Cornwall Coast.

Pinder’s wife, Edith JH Pinder, died in the 1st quarter of 1949, aged 66 and Douglas died at 79 Mount Wise, Newquay, on 14 November 1949, aged just 63.

After his death, in 1949, the studio property remained in the family.

During his travels he used different names, signing his work as Ben Graham and A.P. Shepherd. Upon returning to Newquay he used the name Douglas Pinder again, signing as DH Pinder or Douglas (H) Pinder.
How Much is a Douglas Pinder Picture Worth?

The worth of any painting will depend on the size, quality and the subject. It also depends on where it’s sold (the marketing and exposure gained) as well as the changing trends in the art world.

I’ve seen smaller watercolours sold for £40-60 yet larger pieces selling for upwards of £1000. The £300-£500 range is a typical price for paintings by Pinder.   One painting of the Island, Newquay, was valued at about £120 in 2016, the price probably reflecting his intimate knowledge of the subject, enabling him to bring out its qualities more effortlessly.

As Seen on Flog It

In 2016 one of a Douglas Pinder painting appeared on TV show Flog It.  That was a watercolour of Port Isaac, showing a harbour scene.  It was estimated on the show to be worth £80-120 as it had been removed from the frame and wasn’t in great condition.  This painting by Pinder sold at auction for £80.

Many Douglas Pinder paintings were also produced as postcards, which can make a nice piece of wall art when mounted and framed – these are trending in recent years!

An stunning original watercolour on paper, depicting highland cattle in the Scottish landscape. The image measures 17 cm x 35 cm, in its orignal oak frame with gilt slip. Signed lr. Very nice condition.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 08:10:58 am »
Interesting history he had !! Had not heard of him !!  Of course me being in the U.S. thats not unusual !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 08:11:35 am »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 08:14:48 am »

PM me your mailing address !! You can plant these bulbs now and will probably bloom this fall !!  Just has greenery in summer !! Fall bloomers,, mine are all red but there are white ones too !!  These do multiply and every few years you will have to thin them or they will be everywhere !!  How many would you like ??  Forgot to say,, they will also live a couple of years even if just laying in your garage !! Will probably grow fine on concrete !!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:19:42 am by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 12:14:30 pm »
You cracked me up when you put will grow on concrete!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 12:15:09 pm »
I live in Pinder country - Cornwall -  and that might be Dartmoor, not the Scottish Highlands.

This is his painting of Post Bridge, Dartmoor

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 02:50:01 pm »
You cracked me up when you put will grow on concrete!!!

I was not joking !!  Throw a little water on these bulbs and they will live anywhere !!  I was going to send  a few to someone on my garden group so I dug them and put them in a bowl and set it in the garage !!  She got some from another member and so these didn`t get mailed !! Totally forgot about the ones I dug until the next spring when I saw greenery peeking out !!  It was just the bulbs,, no dirt !!  Thats when I decided these things were indestructible !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 08:43:18 pm »
Sounds like my kind of bulb Mart! 

Like Post Bridge, Dartmoor painting!

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 01:05:21 am »
yes it could well be dartmoor, i live in south devon one of my ex girlfriends lives up on the moors i've spent a lot of time up there beautiful beautiful part of the country. When i sell this place that's probably where i will be heading. The reason i thought this was the highlands was threefold firstly the old boy i'm selling all this on behalf of is scottish, the painting was purchased in scotland then the obvious one is the highland cattle. But it could easily be dartmoor. Love cornwall too have many a fond childhood holiday memory of holidays there, my favorite area has to be the lizard, kynance cove is a particular favorite....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2017, 08:06:05 pm »
Sure resembles a postcard on here!
http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/post_bridge.htm