Author Topic: Signed 18th - 19th century oil painting? Project!  (Read 11755 times)

Ipcress

• View Profile
Re: Signed 18th - 19th century oil painting? Project!
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2017, 04:19:49 am »
There are differences in those letters in the signatures in the links provided.
There are full stops and slashes immediately after his name in the links provided.

" every other works " is wrong and exactly  the kind of language you told Mat not to use.

I'm done arguing with a troll.

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2017, 07:45:35 am »

I'm done arguing with a troll.
What a language! I hope you teach your kids better. Seems like I hurt your feelings. Keep in mind that internet is only virtual! I proofed you were/are wrong. You will be not the first or last wannebe valuation expert that will not admit his/her mistakes.

benbenny007

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2017, 09:07:26 am »
Wow! Did I miss something!? Thank you all for the help, its much appreciated.  ChrisLondo-London, thank you for your help but I don't really want it if it needs to be like this way!

So its Frank Dean! That's a keeper than! Thank you for that Ipcress, your the best.  Love this website!
Now I can finally name it  and give it a place. I just looked up the artist and seen the prices he's selling for. How can I find out the value of this piece? Auction?

But I did make a big mistake. I can remember when I bought this artwork there was also a other painting of the same artist which was sold to somebody else. Should had bought it!! It was a very beautiful portrait painting of a Nobel man posing on a chair.   Well we can't have all the luck :-)

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2017, 10:39:42 am »
Thank you BenBenny007 for your trust but always be open for a second opinion! Don't get carried away by the comments from others. These are all the main forum-buddys that want to buildup this website and don't want to admit their mistakes. Imagine what would happen if they had it wrong!, nobody would take them seriously anymore. Believe me, Ive seen them make so many mistakes that I decided to signup and do something about it. 

You’ve just told me exactly what I needed to know and I will proof it with facts and not guesses. Your comment about a other portrait painting of a nobel man from the same artist which sold to someone else was the breakthrough. 

Ipcress-Amateur! Its not Frank Dean but Frank Daniell.

Frank Daniell 1866-1932 Suffolk, Colchester,  UK.
Same style, same period and known for his portraits of nobility! 
Daniell is best known as a portrait painter whose subjects were the celebrities of the day such as Mayors and many prominent people in the life of the town of Colchester. In addition to painting portraits he also completed some noteworthy still life works and travelled in Europe

BenBenny007, you suspected it to be a Dutch artist or scene, I said it was a French artist or painted in France because of the clothing and background.  There is a small chance that it is painted in The Netherlands because the painting below was also painted in The Netherlands. Its hard to tell because its impressionist in style same like the painting shown in the link below so details don't show.

I quote Ipcress: There are full stops and slashes immediately ''AFTER HIS NAME'' in the links provided.
My scans show the last name as Daniell with a full stop ''AFTER'' the letters LL!  Not before them! It also shows the last inscriptions being numbers 02 which appear to relate to the date 1902. If you do your research about where the artist was in the year 1902 than you can also probably give the painting a title and a place.  Maybe he toured trough other country's and France was maybe one of them.

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/entrance-at-middleburg-holland-2367/search/actor:daniell-frank-18661932/page/1/view_as/grid

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/search/actor:daniell-frank-18661932/page/2

And to finish it off

The so called experts here also overlooked the back of the painting!! There are plenty of inscriptions on the stretcher with clues. BenBenny007 You can clearly see in the pictures you've uploaded that there is writing on the back of the stretchers. You can still clearly see writing in white chalk the letters  D A N and vaguely the letter at the end LL

Chrislondo-London drops the mic obama style
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:41:33 pm by Chrislondo-London »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2017, 03:33:14 pm »
Only one problem with that theory !!  Frank Daniell painted no landscapes that I have found and the style does not match !!  He did religious paintings, church interiors, genre`paintings and portraits !!  With portrait artists and landscape artists,, rarely the two meet !!  When he toured Europe he did church and religious paintings  no landscapes are found !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2017, 03:40:15 pm »
It seems like it's Chrislondo and Benbenny against the world! It's almost as if they're the same person! :o

Good comments, Mart. Actually, I think Ipcress sewed this one up already. Of course, we're just a bunch of dummies! But if we're so dumb, then why do they/he keep coming back? ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »
Really?
After all the evidence provided?

Done arguing! Dodgy website. I will unsubscribe

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:37:25 pm by Chrislondo-London »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2017, 04:33:43 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

-Broderick Crawford

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2017, 05:30:05 pm »
I have been on this site for four years. It is a site that tries to help people.  It is not a site of experts; just knowledgeable people trying to help, research, and learn from each other.  I have stated opposing opinnons and seen "so called buddies" disagree with each other.  Everyone does this with a common thread of curtesy. Chrislondo, you could be correct but your tone and attitude is offensive.  People are not here to "drop a mic" on each other.  If you do not want be helpful in a civil way perhaps you are prudent in unsubscribing.

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2017, 05:55:35 pm »
Really?
After all the evidence provided?

Done arguing! Dodgy website. I will unsubscribe

No sense in thinking you or anyone need to argue here. I view this as an educational site where everyone has something to offer, and as adults we can draw our own conclusions based on rationality. For example, this current discussion has brought up the names of two artists that I was never aware of before. Regardless if I ever utilize the information in the future or not, I’m glad I took the time to explore their work and biographies. Life is too short not to keep open minds to share and accept knowledge and experience

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2017, 06:59:44 pm »
FROM THE MODERATOR:

This thread has gone from being confrontational, to demeaning forum members as-well-as the integrity of the forum itself.  (This started on another thread.) The site founder started it as a hobby - a common place where people could come together to share, learn and enjoy themselves in a caring forum – and I know that is what he wants it to continue to be.  The forum welcomes differing opinions but will not become a name-calling, combative, degrading site that has been the demise of so many forums.  No matter what motivates individuals to join the forum, we welcome people willing to share treasures, share their knowledge, help people learn/discern and do it in a civil manner.  At times members may "agree-to-disagree" and are expected to do so with respect.  We hope that all can work to get along for the good.

AS A REMINDER – Antique-Shop is made up of Volunteers from around the world that meet here for a mutual love of preserving the past.  We welcome people with diverse backgrounds/opinions and the quest to provide support as to the history of treasures - that is what makes this site wonderfully educational and personable.  The Antique-Shop has established itself as a great resource because of members generously taking their time (sometimes hours, days or months) to help inquiring people get answers…for FREE.  Members/moderators are not monetarily or materially compensated. However, they do get lots of satisfaction because of a love for things old, helping others figure out their treasures and learning along the way. As a result, great camaraderie has developed not only for long-time regulars but for newcomers as well. Anyone that perused this site on a regular basis will see that we don’t know everything. There are times we know what items are but there are times we are confounded by an item, have changed our minds on findings or unable to help. Oftentimes we recommend for people to seek help from museums, appraisers, experts, specialized forums and often go so far as to help them connect with some.  (As stated early in this thread that a hands-on inspection from someone in-the-know would be the best route for benbenny007.  So many times there is so much more that can be seen in-person that can't always be seen from pictures on the internet.)

benbenny007, we only wish you the best!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:04:19 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2017, 07:29:09 pm »
Well said KC !!  There have been times when we each have differing opinions and a few where I have had to eat my words !!
That may be the case here !!  But we have given some points to think about !!  Like KC ,,I suggest a hands on by a reputable gallery in the area !!   Hopefully whatever it is,,it will be a good one for Benbenny !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2017, 03:27:54 am »
It's too bad that it had to be said, but you said it well KC!! Thanks!

-Broderick Crawford

benbenny007

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2017, 04:40:50 am »
Thank you Chrislondo-london!! You have indeed proved it with facts! Sorry that I didn't believed you at first. Was carried away by the ''so called experts'' (amateurs) on this forum.  I've been to the auction house with this evidence you've provided and they also named the painting to Frank Daniel. They managed to contact the museum which exhibits the collection of Frank Daniel and they seem interested :-). 
Thanks so much Chrislondo-London!! I will also unsubscribe to this website!!  Can't afford big mistakes  which cost me money!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2017, 07:25:48 am »
Post the link to the auction house and the question you asked that gave you the information !!  We would be interested in reading it !!
Prove what you say !!