Author Topic: Antique Clay Vessel Origin  (Read 8772 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Antique Clay Vessel Origin
« on: March 16, 2017, 11:10:58 am »
I've been holding off on this one for some time now.  I acquired this jug at a yard sale in North Georgia (USA).  The owner said her mother had it for sometime but did not know where she acquired it.  The yard sale was from an antique estate, many wonderful old pieces of furniture.  That being the case I felt it was an original antique/vintage piece.  Measuring approximately 7 1/2" tall by 6" including the handle, with 3 clay beads and roping accent.  It appears to be red clay painted black.  I can't seem to identify the possible origin.  The clay beads and rope makes it a little difficult.  Please take a look and tell me what you think.  Thanks in advance.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Clay Vessel Origin
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 03:08:03 pm »
With the red/terracotta clay,, I would think Mexico but there is nothing about the jug to give a hint except the rope decoration !! Would not likely have the decoration for a jug intending to be used !!  This is usually added to make it sell !!  I would say Mexican tourist item or somewhere in that area !!  But I am no expert !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 03:22:27 pm »
Thanks Mart... I thought so too, but could not find any similar with the beads and rope.  It looks like Mexico to me.. I also thought it could be Mississipian????

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:19:06 pm »
My initial reaction was "wonder if that rope/bead decor is original?"  With today's trends being burlap, sisal, twine, etc you see people "dressing up" older pieces to make them current.  I am sure many a piece has been undervalued because of that.

Wish I would tell more from your picture.  Just something doesn't say Mexico to me Mart.  Can't put my finger on it....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:11:55 pm »
Looks to have some age too KC !!  But with the red clay,, thats all I could think of !!  Looks to be a utilitarian item with no decoration !!  But it gives no clue as to its origin !! 

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 06:22:06 pm »
It is a very old piece.  The rope is a little dry rot and the beads are made of clay.  There is an illusion in the photo on the bottom.  It looks like a red marker of some sort (writing??).  More pics....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 06:34:30 pm »
That cord is hemp and only takes a few years for it to rot !!  Our motor home has a Texas theme and the bathroom door is trimmed with that stuff !!  You can buy it at any hardware store !! 

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »
After making the comment that there is an illusion  HAHA!! My bad, I further examined and it is actually dried clay (liquid drip).  I guess the illusion was in my eyes HAHA!!.

I took a picture of inside to the best of my ability, I noticed that it looks like the good old GEORGIA RED CLAY.  I am in Georgia and our clay is really red. Which gives my search a border range.  I'll continue to search possibly Indian ?? 

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 07:26:04 pm »
That's broaden my search...

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:14:31 pm »
Put a dab of water on it and smell. If it smells strongly of earth then that indicates it was buried for a long period of time. Precolumbian pottery usualy has that characteristic. It looks aged, but that can be faked. Acetone on a cotton swab. If paint comes off it was painted after it was fired with paints to make it look older.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 12:35:28 am »
Great suggestions Skinny! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:15 am »
Well, it seem to have passed the acetone ... NO PAINT...the image has a glare on cotton swab (no paint). Also I have another piece similar finish.  It is a very large heavy Acorn sculpture, I believe I got it at the same time I got this one from the same yard sale.  Will upload pictures once I retrieve it from shelf.  It has incisions no marking though.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 08:03:40 am »
Never thought about Georgia,, come to think of it  we have red clay here where we are in Texas !!  I used to collect Native American artifacts and nothing about this jug looks like that to me,,unless its modern !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 08:51:50 am »
Mart..On yesterday after reexamining I searched and found an interesting site with Sherd of clay and samples.

http://www.seymourharlan.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page34.html

However I am still confused.  As mentioned in last post, I am uploading pictures of the inverted acorn sculpture.  I am very interested in feedback.  It's very heavy, measuring approximately 10" x 5 1/2".

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 08:54:29 am »
Acorn bottom pics......