Author Topic: Antique Clay Vessel Origin  (Read 8773 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Clay Vessel Origin
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 10:39:44 pm »
Wow!  Nice find....I would have slammed the brakes and peeled rubber going backwards to get it!  Soooo interesting!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 08:14:03 am »
Jacon4....GREAT reference! (Crocker Farm Stoneware) I submitted the inquiry with photos..awaiting reply.  I'll update you when I hear something.  I am considering ordering a catalog of a Auction being held 3/25/17 (Today).  Thanks again!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 11:19:18 am »
looking forward to hearing what they say !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2017, 03:28:21 pm »
Yeah, glad it worked out! Crocker probably had an old piece of furniture that i was interested in, that sometimes happens when a specialty auction house gets an odd piece for them, i registered for that sale and BOOM! from then on they send emails/fliers for every sale they have. I'll be interested to in what they say about your jug.

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2017, 10:30:55 am »
Well the Crocker Farm VERDICT is in.....See below..

Thanks a lot for your photos and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you--we have been really tied up with our March 25 auction. I am not sure about the exact origin of your two pieces, but for examples like this, the value would tend to come mainly from the glaze, unfortunately. So without colorful glazes that are aesthetically-pleasing, regardless of origin, these would not tend to have a great deal of value. But thanks again very much for considering us with these and sorry we can't help further with them.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2017, 12:48:45 pm »
Alrighty then, a nice way of saying no value.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2017, 03:05:49 pm »
Darn,, Thats no help !!  But I can loan you my paint and brushes !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2017, 03:28:29 pm »
Darn,, Thats no help !!

Well, i wouldn't say that it was no help, they know their field pretty well i am guessing, what that kind of pottery sells for & for how much. It was more like, not good news is all.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:36:23 pm by jacon4 »

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2017, 03:54:02 pm »
Mart....I am intrigued by the emai ;D.  I searched online to take a look at the glazed jugs they had as examples. It seems that the Multi Glazed Redware is in high demand.  It may be a long shot though. I found a piece of Multi-Glazed Redware the I have.  I am considering sending photos to them for more information what do you think?  The Multi Glazed listed with Crocker Farm prices are very attractive :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »
Thats a nice redware jug !!   I would give it a shot !!  How big is it ??

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2017, 06:18:52 pm »
Mart...It's 6" tall by approximately 4 1/2".  I saw a 6" example on Crocker Farm's website (Redware Multi Glazed) not the same as this one put it sold for $18,000.00 (WHEW!!!) I only wish ::)

http://www.crockerfarm.com/stoneware-auction/2017-03-25/lot-18/Important-Redware-Ring-Bottle-att-Rudolph-Christ-Salem-NC-c1800/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2017, 07:37:48 pm »
I know !!  I looked at some of their past sales as  well as other auction sites !!  I almost croaked at the prices !!  Try yours and see what they say about it !!  I will cross my fingers and toes that yours will sell for that much !!  Many of theirs were unmarked but attributed to a known potter !!  Maybe they will know who made your jug !! 
Let us know what happens !!  Good Luck !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2017, 08:52:02 pm »
Wishing you well DANTES!  Let us know!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 04:43:33 am »
Darn,, Thats no help !!

Well, i wouldn't say that it was no help, they know their field pretty well i am guessing, what that kind of pottery sells for & for how much. It was more like, not good news is all.

I meant no help in knowing where it came from !! 

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 12:16:38 pm »
Okay!  I'll EXHALE! now.  What a fantastic Auction House! (Crocker Farm).  I followed though and sent my second inquiry to them concerning the multi glazed jug.  Well, the news was a little disappointing, however informative.  The jug (my jug) was described to me as possibly by the Cole Family in North Carolina circa about 1920.  The multi glazed redware made by the Cole's was mirrored to look like the late 19th century redware from Strasburg, Va.  I must say that the response to my inquiry was quick and informative.  Again...Jacon4, thanks for the tip.