Author Topic: Ipcress,, Mat ,, KC,, Help !! Can you make out this Chinese/Japanese mark ??  (Read 1489 times)

mart

• View Profile
https://www.kovels.com/forums/question/unknown-mark-can-anyone-help.html

Scroll down to see the bowl !!  Looks like a rice/soup bowl from an Oriental restaurant !!  Its a modern bowl !!  Is the mark the restaurant name ?? 
If I am on the wrong track,,what is it and what is the mark ??   Mark is totally unfamiliar to me !!

Mat

• View Profile
Hi mart, I think it is a Japanese bowl for Matcha tea. I do not know the mark, but the style of the decoration makes me think that it could be Inuyama ware.
Mat

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Mart they didn't list dimensions, but I agree it looks like a tea cup!  Looks modern to me from the pictures.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
Whats Matcha Tea ??  No one recognizes the mark ??

Raven31557

• View Profile
Matcha tea is a powdered Japanese green tea.

Mat

• View Profile
Mart, I agree with KC that it is not old. This looks like the signature of a potter, and you need to find someone who reads Japanese to decipher it. However I am quite confident that it is indeed Inuyama-yaki, pottery from Inuyama in central Japan.

mart

• View Profile
I agree Mat,,it does look the same style decoration !!  The crackle glaze is a chemical reaction and not age related !!  Thats why I thought it modern !!  But at least the person knows what type pottery it is !!