Author Topic: The Hamilton MFG. Table  (Read 1308 times)

nightowl

• View Profile
The Hamilton MFG. Table
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:02:59 am »
I have this table that came from a newspaper pressroom that shut down. Very heavy. The top looks like it was cast and sits on pins on the frame. It comes off but weighs 150#+.
I added casters so I can move it around, but it makes the table too tall.
I thought about cutting the legs down to make it more usable.
My question is.. Should I leave as is? I don't want to cut the legs down if it does have antique value.
I know it is old, but now sure how old.
I googled Hamilton mfg and see a lot of tables, but not the exact one. They are pricey.
Thanks for any help.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: The Hamilton MFG. Table
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 11:09:55 am »
One thing I can tell you is that altering furniture ALWAYS reduces its value, so I'd check and see if you can find any shorter casters before you cut the legs down.

That said, I do not know what this table is worth, and it may not be worth enough to make this an issue.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 03:37:43 pm »

Being that the construction of your table base is steel, I would doubt if the value would be affected negatively. In looking at the history of the Hamilton company, it states that they switched from wood to metal furniture in the WWI time period. I would guess your table dates from the 1920's-30's.
One thing that I would suggest would be to look for a set of casters that would be closer to the age of table.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/199180661/vintage-antique-industrial-hamilton-cast?ref=market

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:45:24 pm »
Just looked on ebay and I think you can get a better price there !! Other mfrs too as well as Hamilton !! Saw some really neat caster sets and I don`t even like the industrial look !!  Well,,not for me anyway !!  Would look great in a big old NY style loft !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 09:21:57 am »
These have become very popular to use for an island in smaller kitchens where a permanent one isn't always ideal!  Nice size and versatile! 

DO NOT CUT THE LEGS DOWN!  Either take off the casters or do as the others suggest and get shorter ones.  Keep the history of this piece with it.  (What newsroom it came from, etc.)  Just write or type it up and tape it to the bottom of the table.  History helps with value over time!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:57:36 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

nightowl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 01:37:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I will leave as is or find shorter casters that match the table.