Author Topic: Double Handled Inca/Aztec Inspired Vase  (Read 2086 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Double Handled Inca/Aztec Inspired Vase
« on: April 29, 2017, 09:41:13 am »
Hi everyone...

I got another unidentified pottery item.  I've had it for some time and a friend saw it the other day and commented that it looked important. Of course my radar went off.   I brought it several years ago at a Goodwill in Central Georgia.  Measuring approximately 8 1/2" x 9 1/2".  Fairly light in weight and looks to have a two part mold? But the etching seems had crafted?  After revisiting the vase I notice the motif was derived from different totems and symbols.  It had a felt type bottom glued to the base.  I removed it and can not make any determination on the marking.  (Photos included).  My research takes me to possibly a early production from the Frankoma Pottery company (USA OKLAHOMA).  The clay however throws me off a little bit.  During 1933-1954 Frankoma used a light clay and changed to red clay after 1954.  Take a look and share your thoughts when possible.  Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

DANTE5

• View Profile
Re: Double Handled Inca/Aztec Inspired Vase
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 09:42:58 am »
More photos....

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 10:35:50 am »
In my opinion this is inspired by archaic Chinese bronze vessels, bot Inca or Atztec.
Mat

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 10:41:30 am »
Ok....Now we are talking.  I was pulling straws with the Aztec.  I eliminated Egyptian and Greek, but did not think Asian.  Huh????  Thanks for reply Mat.  Will continue on the search.

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 06:38:10 am »
In my opinion this is inspired by archaic Chinese bronze vessels, bot Inca or Atztec.
Mat

Mat....Thank you for steering me in the right direction on my search.  I can see exactly why this could be inspired by  archaic vessels.  That makes it even move interesting.  The shape of the vessels would indicate the use of the vessel, that is, the  type of ritual it was used for.  In my search I notice vessels for FOOD, WINE, etc.  I am thinking with this design it would be a vessel for some type of liquid?????  I am still in search for more clues and answers to determine the origin.  The felt label on base I removed showed signs of shelf life.  I had to soak the base in water overnight to remove it. (Picture). 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 12:54:21 pm »
How big is this vase ??  That small hole would limit its use as  a vase !!  Wonder if its small enough to be used  as a diffuser ??

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 06:43:23 am »
Mart..... It is 8 1/2" x 9 1/2". (including the handles).

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 10:09:57 am »
https://www.etsy.com/listing/464246578/james-mont-jadite-green-color-interior?ref=market

Mmmm,,,could be a diffuser !!  Check out the ice bucket at top !!  Its not Frankoma !!  Whoever made it put the felt bottom on so not to scratch furniture !!  I am guessing its about the same vintage as the one in the link !!  See if the small hole at top has an odor of any kind !!  look inside with a flashlight and see what it looks like !!  Dirty bottom,,clean,, stained  ect !!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:15:11 am by mart »

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 01:45:40 pm »
Mart... I began to search the archaic Chinese bronze ritual vessels with the motifs.  I understand the authentic types of vessels is cast in bronze.  This piece is a slip mold.  I am not finding similar clay items online.  No odor on top. It is hollow, no signs of residue on inside.