Author Topic: Vintage Cast Iron Candle Holder Wall Hangings?  (Read 6335 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Cast Iron Candle Holder Wall Hangings?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 05:10:40 am »
Churches, schools and other public buildings usually had wall-mounted or hanging kerosene lamps.

Except for the ole pump organs in the churches ……. which had a lamp/candle stand affixed to both sides so that the organist could read the sheet music.

Raven31557

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 11:30:40 am »
I would put a potted plant in it!!

valhom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 11:16:48 pm »
Mart, they were full-size lamps …… but the base was molded so that it would fit “snuggly” in the ring of the wall-mount bracket …… like pictured here, to wit:

Thus the kero lamp could be placed in the wall bracket or it could be set on the table, bureau or shelf without need of the “ring” bracket.

Many, man , many house “fires” were caused by ….. tipped over and broken kerosene lamps ….. thus that “ring” wall mount bracket was a kinda “safety feature”.

Very nice! Thank you for the info and picture.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 10:29:48 am »
Nice thread here!  I' with Mart.  I would have used it for a potted plant.  However, with all the power outages we get here, I might start looking for a couple with lanterns to grace my humble abode.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 11:48:49 am »
 I might start looking for a couple with lanterns to grace my humble abode.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, noooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooo, lol! Don't get me wrong, these lamps were a life changing event, for the first time in history, mankind had "real" light, which was not a small thing. Still, they are dangerous and i would be wary about having this sort of lamp operational and filled with fuel in the house, it's simply not needed today, much safer options are available for power outages. These lamps are a decoration type dealio these days, please DON"T BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! BAM!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 03:13:36 pm »
Meanwhile, while we wait for KC to burn her house down with 19th century lamps, i read this interesting article about the night and how living in the dark back in the day wasn't all bad. Prior to the lighted age, people had 2 sleeps every night, first sleep till midnight when they got up for a bit before going back to bed for remainder of the night. Turns out that is the natural sleep pattern for humans so if you have sleeping issues, it could be related to our ancient natural sleep pattern being interrupted by the modern world.

"Once there, Ekirch relates in perhaps his most fascinating revelation, pre-industrial man slept a segmented sleep. He has found more than 500 references, from Homer onwards, to a "first sleep" that lasted until maybe midnight, and was followed by "second sleep". In between the two, people routinely got up, peed, smoked, read, chatted, had friends round, or simply reflected on the events of the previous day – and on their dreams. (Plenty also had sex, by all accounts far more satisfactorily than at the end of a hard day's labouring. Couples who copulated "after the first sleep", wrote a 16th-century French doctor, "have more enjoyment, and do it better".)

Experiments by Dr Thomas Wehr at America's National Institute of Mental Health appear to bear out the theory that this two-part slumber is man's natural sleeping pattern: a group of young male volunteers deprived of light at night for weeks at a time rapidly fell into the segmented sleep routine described in so many of Ekirch's documentary sources. It could even be, Wehr has theorised, that many of today's common sleeping disorders are essentially the result of our older, primal habits "breaking through into today's artificial world".

Of all this have we been robbed by the onward march of industrial lighting. (By we, of course, I mean most people in the developed world. It's worth remembering that there are still large parts of the globe where it's still up at sunrise, and to bed pretty soon after sundown.)

In the west, the ongoing elimination of the night through the 19th and 20th centuries may have performed miracles for economic activity, encouraging the development of an entire nocturnal sector of clubs, bars, restaurants, even supermarkets now open 24/7, not to mention all-night TV. But in some ways, argues Ekirch, rather than making night-time more accessible, we are actually risking its gradual extinction.

City-dwellers, and many others, have now all but lost their view of the heavens, a source of awe and wonder since the beginning of time. And since affordable artificial lighting now allows all of us to go to bed so much later, consolidating our sleep into one more or less continuous spell, our dreamlife has been disrupted and our understanding of ourselves impaired. "With darkness diminished," he says, "the opportunities for privacy and reflection are lessened." Which is perhaps not entirely a good thing. So thanks, William Murdoch."

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 03:17:19 pm »
This definitely reflects my sleep pattern, but I just thought it was a result of getting old(er).  ;D

Do you have a link for this article?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 03:30:51 pm »
no, but i can go back in history and find it, give me a min

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/31/life-before-artificial-light
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:34:08 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 11:06:24 am »
This definitely reflects my sleep pattern, but I just thought it was a result of getting old(er).  ;D

Do you have a link for this article?

Old age is right Ghopper !!  The researchers need to follow us for  a while,,we would prove it !!   ;D

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 11:43:24 am »
LOL, you guys have gotten old! gone back to the ancient primordial sleeping pattern!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 03:15:48 pm »
LOL, you guys have gotten old! gone back to the ancient primordial sleeping pattern!

Actually, I've been following this sleep pattern most of my life.... ;)

Thanks for the link. Great article!

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 03:41:13 pm »
Yeah, it was interesting to read about the time before "real" light which to me started with whale oil & then later kerosene, i don't count candles which is little more than a match. And until reading that article i had no idea that human sleep patterns were changed by light in the night. I have never had sleeping issues from that change from 2 shorter periods to 1 longer period  but know some people that do have problems with sleep and sometimes take sleeping pills, i wonder if sleep clinics are aware of all this.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 05:31:51 pm »
The Discovery/History Channel once aired a documentary about the “Dark Ages” wherein they described that cultural practice of “early” and “late” sleep, ….. and it might have been in this one, to wit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSvfiQkC49s

Its been quite a while since I watched it.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 07:35:28 pm »
Well, it was a good documentary, but no talk about sleep.

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2017, 02:09:54 am »
Yeah, i remember seeing this, was a good docu on the dark ages, a tough time to be alive, no doubt. No mention of human sleep patterns though