Author Topic: How old is this ammo / tnt army crate?  (Read 1929 times)

Cambria

• View Profile
How old is this ammo / tnt army crate?
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:54:43 am »
I thought this army crate was cute but I wanted to see if anyone knows how old it is and about how much it goes for? I don't want to overpay if it's not worth that much.

The print says: 2 cartridges 75mm...W/ fuse PD M557 for rifle M20...TNT

Any info is much appreciated

jondar

• View Profile
Re: How old is this ammo / tnt army crate?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:30:55 pm »
Cambria - Looks like WW2 to me.  Am I right that those letters spell TXT instead of TNT, I could be wrong.  I know that late into WW2 the hand grenades "switched" over from the normal flash powder to TNT and that's why I thought the box could be WW2.  Great find.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:22:03 pm »
The M20 recoilless rifle was used during the Korean War also. Today, it serves for snow avalanche control.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M20_recoilless_rifle

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 03:04:15 pm »
Cambria - Looks like WW2 to me.  Am I right that those letters spell TXT instead of TNT, I could be wrong.  I know that late into WW2 the hand grenades "switched" over from the normal flash powder to TNT and that's why I thought the box could be WW2.  Great find.

The way its stenciled looks like an X but I think it is TNT !!  My mother worked at an Army Depot putting the TNT in shells !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 06:53:47 am »
Mart, you're probably right.  I know that the later WW2 grenades were made with TNT as the propellant and unlike the former loadings the fuse alone for the TNT loads would fragment the grenade.  I have an empty box for grenades made during the Viet Nam war and I'll dig it out from the storeroom and look at the stenciling on it.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:27:52 am »
I do know that "JA" in the lot number stands for the Joliet Arsenal, which has been closed for decades.
http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.com/chi-photos-joliet-army-ammunition-plant-20140626/

Cambria

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 04:28:18 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info! That's interesting what the JA stands for and that the M20s were usesd in WWII and the Korean war. I got this  for $36 which I hope isn't that bad. Definitely a cool piece IMO.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 06:58:53 pm »
I would say $20. to $30.is average so you are in the ballpark !!  Fair price for something you like !!  I don`t mind a few dollars over if its something I want !!  Nice find !!