Author Topic: Wall Hanging Cabinet ID  (Read 994 times)

treasurehoard

• View Profile
Wall Hanging Cabinet ID
« on: June 17, 2017, 04:32:35 pm »
Can I please get some help IDing the style/age of this cabinet?  Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Wall Hanging Cabinet ID
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:31:35 am »
Well,, Its not as old as one might think !!  The back looks to have been attached with a brad nailer !!  I would say its maybe 1970`s, mahogany  !!  Cabinets did not have particular styles !!  I would call this slightly gothic !!  Or just a steeple cabinet !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 12:12:05 pm »
Steeple cabinet is a good name for it!

I'll play devil's advocate and say that it IS as old as you might think. I'll call it renaissance revival ca. 1880, made of walnut, and I'll call the steeple a finial.

Before we get all snowflake and have a meltdown war of opinion, I'll say that Mart might very well be right. However, my diagnosis comes from the backing (wood sheet), material (solid hardwood), and raised (burl?) panels above the arch. I also have a small hanging walnut piece ca. 1870-80 with metal hangers EXACTLY like those on the back of this piece. Also, it had an escutcheon that has been removed, and the keyhole and lock look genuine. However, it does seem to have been refinished.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:16:30 pm by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 02:02:30 pm »
Now we never have a meltdown Ghopper !!  Just different opinions !!  Everything I see says modern repro !!  I do not think it has been refinished !!  Wonder if we could get more history from the owner and a couple of side pics !!