Author Topic: Wooden Plant Stand  (Read 825 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Wooden Plant Stand
« on: June 28, 2017, 01:18:38 pm »
This was upstairs in my parent's house (which I have now inherited) and had a cactus garden in a shallow red clay dish. I surmise that at one time it had a marble top since what is there now is rough-looking wood (more than likely water damaged) with a screw in the middle. It's 34" tall and the top is 12.5" square. It whispers "Eastlake" to me, but I can't tell if it a "real" antique or a repro or from what wood it's made. Several people that have seen it offered to buy it, but I don't know what would be a reasonable price to ask. Any comments?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Wooden Plant Stand
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:05:17 pm »
Yes, you're right, it's Eastlake ca. 1890. It looks to be walnut, stripped of its finish. I think you're right about the marble top.  It would be quite easy to get a new piece of marble cut (with the appropriate beveled edging) to match your piece, just go to a granite/marble/quartz counter top business and have them cut you a piece, then just lay it on top. Before that, refinish the piece with a walnut finish.

Now you're ready to sell, though I don't suspect you'd get much more than $250 for it. However, by the time you've restored the plant stand to its former beauty, you'll probably just want to keep it. I know I would!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford