Author Topic: Antique Roll Top Desk Info Needed  (Read 6814 times)

Debbelle

• View Profile
Antique Roll Top Desk Info Needed
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:43:01 am »
Hi! I am trying to find out information about this antique roll top desk. It's been in the family for many years, but, there's no one left for me to ask about it. I can't find an identifying brand name. There are numbers - 55298 - etched on the inside of one of the pedestals. It is Tiger Oak and measures 37" in depth, 60" in width, 31" high (writing level), and 51" high (back). I believe it's a Tambour with double pedestals with carved pulls. It is really intricate. It even has two curved draws. Here are a couple of pictures. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Also, the drawers on the pedestals slid out fine until we placed the top back on, and now it is acting like they're locked. Thank you!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Roll Top Desk Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 07:54:16 pm »
If you could open one of the bottom drawers and take  a pic of the dovetail joints at the front,,where the drawer front and the sides meet,,that will help with age !!  From the styling I would say mid 30`s to early 40`s !!  But we will look at the pics first !!  The number is only a style number and unless you know the MFR which is unlikely,,(furniture was not usually marked by mfr) it will not help you !!

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 11:13:03 am »
I will do that as soon as I can get one of the drawers open. In the meantime, does it have to be one of the pedestal drawers? What about the middle drawer of the bottom (between the 2 pedestals)? Or any of the smaller ones from the top section?

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:44:48 am »
I can't get the pedestal drawers opened, yet, but - here is a picture of the dovetails from the middle drawer (on bottom part, between pedestals), and all 3 drawers' dovetails from the top portion. I know that my mother had some restoration done on the desk many years ago. I think she said the cost of restoration was around $2000. I don't know if I'm remembering things correctly, though.

Rboyd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 06:55:35 pm »
This is a nice oak desk (AKA Golden Oak Era) from the 1930-1940's. Its nice and is still usable today. I have seen these go at auction for $300-$600. However, I have seen them in shops for in the $1,500's. Very nice.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 07:39:13 pm »
Not quite Golden oak era but right timeline !!  Late 30`s or 40`s,,machine made,, that is what I needed the dovetail pics for !!
Could be as late as the 50`s  but I think slightly earlier !!  Not much demand for these old desks though !! You would be lucky to get $300 to $500. for it if in excellent condition !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:49:26 pm »
Unfortunately these have not kept values as one would hope.  Computers help their popularity diminish....because they cannot fit inside and many have been ruined by folks drilling holes through the back   for the cord...only to find that they have drilled a hole through the roll top when they close it!  😦

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:45:52 pm »
Unfortunately these have not kept values as one would hope.  Computers help their popularity diminish....because they cannot fit inside and many have been ruined by folks drilling holes through the back   for the cord...only to find that they have drilled a hole through the roll top when they close it!  😦

Hmmmm, the voice of experience? :) ;)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:32:59 pm »
Ha Ha Ha....no....twasn't me!  But I have known some who have done it and seen quite a few (luckily a few were "attempted repairs" but showed).  Was in an antique mall and heard a couple/other browsers trying to figure out what the old oak roll top had a hole in the closed cover and had to chuckle because I new exactly what had happened.  Once explained to them...the ah-hah and chuckles happened. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 07:38:16 pm »
Not quite Golden oak era but right timeline !!  Late 30`s or 40`s,,machine made,, that is what I needed the dovetail pics for !!
Could be as late as the 50`s  but I think slightly earlier !!  Not much demand for these old desks though !! You would be lucky to get $300 to $500. for it if in excellent condition !!

I was wondering about those dovetails because some looked by hand and some looked machined. So, I've been wondering if there was a difference because of the restoration. I will check out the pedestal doors as soon as I can get them open.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 09:12:35 pm »
If it was disassembled and then re-glued that can affect the shape But we look at other things as well !!  Go look at the dovetails on the jelly cupboard !!  That gives you an idea of what the older  ones should look like !!  Also as time went on,, after 1900 and machine made furniture became popular the number of dovetails used increased and they went to plain square design !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 06:21:55 am »
Unfortunately these have not kept values as one would hope.  Computers help their popularity diminish....because they cannot fit inside and many have been ruined by folks drilling holes through the back   for the cord...only to find that they have drilled a hole through the roll top when they close it!  😦

Yup, iffen you need to drill a hole for a power cord in an old roll-top desk, ...... you need to drill it "flush" with the back edge of the desk top ...... and make sure the roll-top "curtain" is only half open when doing the drilling.

And iffen you want to disguise it from being a "manmade" drilled hole ...... then get yourself a chisel and sharp knife and fake it out to look like a "mouse hole".

To look similar to this original one, to wit:

Pine pie safe, c., with punched tin eagle panels, complete with mouse hole on the drawer!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 09:04:27 am »
Wish I had that one Cogar,,,mouse hole and all !!

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 09:30:44 am »
How do you suggest that I find out more about this desk? Who may have made it, style, etc. I think from what people have said on here that it is from around the 30's or 40's? I don't know how much to ask for it. I would like to sell it because I don't have the room for it. It was my mother's. Any suggestions as to how I can research it would be appreciated. I am not having much luck with just googling antique roll top desk. Thank you.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 08:46:22 am »
Back when I was in the business, I probably handled 3 dozen roll tops over the years. I would have considered your desk as approaching the upper end in regard to style and quality at that time. The high S curve, raised panels, nice interior, etc. all would add to the desirability. If it were mine today, I would ask $700-$800.

Here is one (with an added feature) on a upcoming auction:
https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/54333835_massive-oak-s-roll-top-office-desk

BTW: You will probably have to take the top off to unlock the drawers. There should be a spring loaded mechanism underneath at the back of the roll that will need to be freed up to make sure that when the roll is open it will allow the drawers to operate. Good luck.