Author Topic: Antique Roll Top Desk Info Needed  (Read 6816 times)

Debbelle

• View Profile
Re: Antique Roll Top Desk Info Needed
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 09:29:21 pm »
Thank you!  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 10:17:15 pm »
We hope you got some answers you were after! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 08:22:55 am »
Something weird is going on with the last 2 posts. It's like the copy disappears. Portions appear and disappear and I can't see it to make it out. Like right now, I can't even see what I'm typing.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 05:57:33 pm »
I'm not sure what is happening but it doesn't seem to be happening with me/my computer.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 07:12:46 pm »
I had a similar problem a while back !!   Could start to type and only a letter or two would show !!  I think I just re-started the computer and it stopped for  that day,,had a couple of instances of that !!  Hasn`t happpened in a while !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 05:23:06 am »
I had a similar problem a while back !!   Could start to type and only a letter or two would show !!  I think I just re-started the computer and it stopped for  that day,,had a couple of instances of that !!  Hasn`t happpened in a while !!

The next time something like that happens, …… just “right” click on the dark area of the “toolbar” a the bottom of your screen.

A small “window” will open.

And near the bottom of the “list” click on “Task Manager” and it will then display all the different “processes” that are functioning.

At the top of that “list”, check to see how much RAM memory is being used …… and  how much CPU processor time is being used. If either of those numbers are up in the 80% to 90+%, then that is your problem.

And then if you look down at the “list of processes” you can see which one(s) is slowing things up to “snail speed” ……… and you can “terminate” it if you choose by “clicking” on it and then “clicking” End Process.   

And then “restart” that process. Most of the time I’ve found that Internet Explores (IE) was the culprit.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 02:11:47 pm »
Hi Everyone. It has been a while. I agree with Rauville. When I was in the business the S roll double pedestal was the most desirable next to the earlier cylinder rolls. I would date this 1910 to 1930 and price  it around 600.00 because it appears to be in great original condition. I saw one a few months ago that needed heavy restoration and it sold to a dealer for 300. Ask was 350.00. Wood roll tops fell out of favor in offices in the 30's and 40's when metal desks became more readily available. The roll top had resurgence in the 1970s when the prices shot up on old ones and repro's began to be produced.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 02:57:44 pm »
Hey Frogpatch !!  I thought you had forgotten us !!  Glad to see you back !!

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 09:18:47 am »
Hi All!

Well, I had to postpone everything regarding desk over the passed year, and now I'm back to finding the best way to sell this for the most fair price. I had the desk top re-positioned twice - as I had someone to help me with it. First time, the top wouldn't open very much. The second time, the top opened, but, the drawers now won't open. It seems very hard to position correctly, and I always have to wait to find someone to help. Is there a trick to positioning it so that both the roll top and drawers will open?

Also, where do you suggest is the best place for me to sell it?

Thank you,
Debbie

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 08:57:40 am »
I had the desk top re-positioned twice - as I had someone to help me with it.

First time, the top wouldn't open very much.

The second time, the top opened, but, the drawers now won't open.

Debbelle,

Me thinks your rolltop desk probably has two (2) locking mechanisms, …. one (1) being a “key” for locking/unlocking the “rolltop” to/from the front of the desk surface.

The 2nd one (1) being a sliding “latch” mechanism for locking the drawers from being opened whenever the “rolltop” is closed …… and/or locked.

Your “1st time” problem, … there is a wide “slot” at the back of your desk top that the “rolltop” goes down thru when it is “opened”.

When placing to top on your desk, the back edge of the “rolltop” door and that desktop “slot” has to be aligned in both directions, ….. left to right and front to back, …. so that the “rolltop” passes freely thru the “slot”.

Your “2nd time” problem, … if the drawers won’t open, …. then #1, the “rolltop” door is not fully “opened”, …… or #2, the fully opened “rolltop” door is not disengaging the drawer “latch” mechanism that prevents the drawers from being “opened”.

Debbelle, …. “click” the following url link for a reference diagram of a drawer “latch” mechanism.

http://www.reyweb.com/roll-top-desk-drawer-lock-mechanism/

Hope the above helps.

Sam  C

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 10:01:50 pm »
Hello,

I believe that we have a site glitch.  With the exception of the last two posts, the dates have been modified.  For example, the original post is dated July 2017 and the replies thereafter range from July to August 2017. 

KC are you able to discuss this with your people ? :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 04:25:25 pm »
Not a site glitch !!  This was originally posted in 2017 !!  She is just now getting back to it !!  It happens occasionally !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 06:11:38 pm »
Yep, it is what Mart said.  Just an older post revisited!