Author Topic: A success  (Read 1892 times)

Tanya

• View Profile
A success
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:10:21 pm »
I've posted on this site a few times in search of porcelain made by Max Rosenberg in Przemysl (aka Premissel), Poland.

There was one piece described by and OP here, whom I couldn't track down as it was many years since the original post.  Other posters also had information but same issue, they had come and gone.

With good fortune, a couple of months ago I happened upon a piece on Ebay, and it also happens to be the very piece the original OP had posted about.  It is now in my happy possession.

If you have any further information or leads to Max's work, I would be very appreciative.

mart

• View Profile
Re: A success
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 08:01:27 am »
Well,, I am glad you came back and posted the pics !!  That is a lovely fish plate !!  Didn`t you say you were related to this person in some way ??

Tanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:43:21 pm »
Yes, great granddaughter.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 06:43:39 pm »
Perhaps you could give us a short history since we are unfamiliar with his work ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 12:49:26 am »
Would love to hear your family story/history!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 06:40:25 am »
Wow !!  There is literally nothing online about him or the porcelain !!

Tanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 07:08:22 am »
I really don't have a lot of information.  He had a factory in Dobromil which is about 20 miles from Przemysl, and a shop in Przemysl to sell his work.  From what I gather they lived above his shop on one of the main streets in Przemysl.  (I actually was able to get photos of the building.  If I find them I can post them later).  He was married to Bronia Sperling and had two sons with her.  The elder became a Dr. and the younger, my grandfather, moved to Vienna, got married and probably started selling the porcelain there, but eventually grew into selling kitchen ware (stoves etc...).  He had a showroom on one of the main avenues. 
Max was born in a town not too far from Przemysl in what is now western Ukraine known as Sambor.  This region changed hands many many times throughout history.  At that time is was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire.  It was historically also known as Galicia.  His father, David, I was told was a doctor, but I've not been able to verify that through research.  David was born in what is now eastern Ukraine, in a town called Brody.
I've learned a lot about extensions of the family, but not more about the porcelain and glass business.  I'm hoping to visit the region to do more research in person.
One interesting anecdote is that Max's grandson, my father's cousin, also became a porcelain designer and manufacturer. His son, my second cousin, continues the tradition.
Genes!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:10:39 am by Tanya »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 07:32:43 pm »
Wow !!  Now that is a great piece of family history for you !!  I can see why you are trying to find pieces of his work,, I would too !!
Good luck with your search and if we happen to see anything we will send a PM to you !!

Tanya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 10:30:30 am »
Thanks so much, mart.  I appreciate it.