Author Topic: Mystery cupboard  (Read 1457 times)

pesky.princess

• View Profile
Mystery cupboard
« on: September 18, 2017, 02:18:50 pm »
Hi everyone!
Just wondered if anyone had a clue on this lovely cupboard I bought a while ago!
I bought it because I felt it was unusual and I loved it!
Would love to know any ideas on how old it may be and what the purpose of it might have been! Its intrigued me and I have had a couple of suggestions before but nothing concrete!
It has lovely carved poles to each corner.. a glass door with a curtain and a lovely inlaid pattern in the wood.
Any info or suggestions would be fab please... really would love to know!
Thank you!

pesky.princess

• View Profile
Re: Mystery cupboard
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 02:33:46 pm »
Not sure photo is side ways... sorry about that!  :o

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 02:39:04 pm »
Will need better pics to help !!  Need to see the whole cupboard and  a pic of the dovetail joints on the drawers !!  Also open the doors and take a good pic of the inside of the doors  and one of any exterior hardware !!  One of the back would be good too !! Chances are the curtain is not original and it probably had glass in the doors at one time !!

pesky.princess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 02:47:43 pm »
Hi! Thanks! I don't seem to be able to add anymore pics now - it is saying file too large even though it let me post the first one?
I should clarify, the cupboard in question in sat on top of a separate cupboard. There are no drawers. it is just the square shaped cupboard at top. There is glass in the door with a curtain to inside of glass.
 I will try my best to get pics sorted to post more.. need to resize them I think... weird how I just took pics with my mobile phone and the first one posted but rest are too large?

pesky.princess

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 02:59:25 pm »
seeing if this works...

pesky.princess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 03:00:57 pm »
The cupboard underneath the open door is a separate cupboard that the cupboard in question is currently sat on top of

pesky.princess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 03:02:08 pm »
another one

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 03:36:42 pm »
This looks to me like a Vestment Cabinet and/or Ambry - I have seen in churches over the years.  I have seen some that are solid wood doors but have seen just as many with glass/drapery and lock to hold the religious elements (bread and wine chalice.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ambry&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw0oyK2K_WAhUBdiYKHVlmAEEQsAQITA&biw=922&bih=503
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 06:45:25 pm »
Is the decorative column on all 4 corners or just the front ??