Author Topic: Masonic Chart Strobridge & Co Lithograph 1867 - Having Trouble Finding This One  (Read 2671 times)

SophieMarie

• View Profile
The framed Masonic Chart lithograph measures 20-1/2 inches across and 24-1/2 inches high. 

Near the bottom it reads "Strobridge & Co Lithograph 1867"

On the very bottom in fine print reads "Entered according to Act of Congress in the Year 1867 by Strobridge & Co in the Clerks Office of the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of Ohio"

I've seen others by Strobridge & Co., but am having difficulty finding this one.  Any help would be appreciated...thank you!

SophieMarie

• View Profile
Hello,

This is a "bump" so you have seen this previously.  I was wondering if anyone knows about the symbols on the Masonic Chart...have searched but the only litho that comes close is:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Strobridge-Litho-Masonic-Register-Master-Free-Mason-1876-Very-Nice/222772022010?hash=item33de3f4afa:g:m8EAAOSw2GlXESE2

I've seen other Stobridge & Co lithographs but still cannot find this one:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1312.R1.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xstro.TRS1&_nkw=strobridge+litho&_sacat=0

I am trying to understand if this litho is rare or not.

Any Masons out there???  Thanks for your help!

mart

• View Profile
I would say it is pretty rare although I have no clue as to possible value !!  I looked before and just looked again and found nothing similar !!  World Catalogue starts in the 1870`s so isn`t there !!  Maybe they didn`t like that design and changed before many were printed !!
What bothers me is the size,,I don`t think I saw any that were that big !!  Are you measuring the border too ??

SophieMarie

• View Profile
I would say it is pretty rare although I have no clue as to possible value !!  I looked before and just looked again and found nothing similar !!  World Catalogue starts in the 1870`s so isn`t there !!  Maybe they didn`t like that design and changed before many were printed !!
What bothers me is the size,,I don`t think I saw any that were that big !!  Are you measuring the border too ??

It's actually about 21" X17" without the frame.  First dimensions were with frame. This one is making me "crazy" ha!

SophieMarie

• View Profile
I read that in 1866:

A fire in Pike's Opera House caused the Strobridge Company to lose all possessions, including its early records.

http://snaccooperative.org/ark:/99166/w6jg0c6v

However; the litho in question is dated 1867....grrrr

cogar

• View Profile
I read that in 1866:

So, ........ many manufacturers/producers "date" their product to/for the "year" they are released, not the year they were made.

Auto companies are noted for this. Thus, you can buy a new 2019 vehicle in the latte Summer of Fall of 2018.

Now iffen it was dated 1869 or 1870, ...... then "buyer beware".  :D :D :D

mart

• View Profile
This one is a stumper !! Does the masonic lodge have a central registry or a historian that you can email ??

Pelady

• View Profile
I am not a Freemason but love history.  The first Freemason Lodge in America was Established in Boston in the early 1700s. The Grand Lodge is still located on Tremont Street  across from  Boston Common.  They have quite an archive/museum perhaps you should go to the source this is contact information for the lodge.

186 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02111

info@massfreemasonry.org
800.882.1020 (within MA)

Plymouth, America's Home Town.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
I read that in 1866:

So, ........ many manufacturers/producers "date" their product to/for the "year" they are released, not the year they were made.

Auto companies are noted for this. Thus, you can buy a new 2019 vehicle in the latte Summer of Fall of 2018.

Now iffen it was dated 1869 or 1870, ...... then "buyer beware".  :D :D :D

Iffen that were the case, that would explain part of the mystery.  Thank you!

SophieMarie

• View Profile
I am not a Freemason but love history.  The first Freemason Lodge in America was Established in Boston in the early 1700s. The Grand Lodge is still located on Tremont Street  across from  Boston Common.  They have quite an archive/museum perhaps you should go to the source this is contact information for the lodge.

186 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02111

info@massfreemasonry.org
800.882.1020 (within MA)

Pelady, thank you for the information.  I will give it a try and let you know what I find!

mart

• View Profile
Please do let us know <<  I am curious !!

SophieMarie

• View Profile
I sent an email last night...waiting for a response!

mart

• View Profile
Will check back to see what they say !!