Author Topic: My grandfather's 1900-1930 two chest drawers with tools  (Read 1367 times)

btcomp

• View Profile
My grandfather's 1900-1930 two chest drawers with tools
« on: December 29, 2017, 05:31:50 pm »
I have been thinking about my grandfather's two chests. He was a craftsman, worked at the very early Fisher Body in Detroit, also made an altar for a local church in Freesoil/Manistee Michigan area, where my grandmother (his wife) came from. My grandfather was born in 1876, (I have his baptismal papers from then, beautiful, with color seal & looks like it might have printed just a few years ago). My dad always kept his dad's chests. Most of the tools he used are inside the two chests, (though dad had put a few in during the 1960s). I never met my grandfather as he passed away from hernia surgery in 1935.

I have several pictures of both chests. I don't know what they are worth. I did find blueprints for a home in Detroit, that I took out, not sure it was one of his residences or perhaps a home he may have worked on for someone else.

But here are a few pictures. I will post four from the first, smaller chest & the next thread will be from the second chest. I would be interested in what they might be worth & where I could sell them.

mart

• View Profile
Re: My grandfather's 1900-1930 two chest drawers with tools
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 07:31:00 pm »
Well,,I see a brace and bit, an eggbeater drill,  looks like  a draw knife some side cutters a punch and not sure about he item in front !!  Can you take it out and show the other side a bit closer !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:48:20 am »
...and not sure about he item in front !!  Can you take it out and show the other side a bit closer !!

That's a pipe threader, probably by Reed Mfg. Erie Pa.
The tool chest appears to have been designed to be stood on end when using, maybe similar in function to this extreme top of the line model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9QaFTI2F9c

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 07:03:10 pm »
Thanks Rauville !!  Its been ages since I have seen New Yankee Workshop and Norm !!  Also loved "This Old House" !!