Author Topic: Pottery dish  (Read 3636 times)

Asheets72

• View Profile
Pottery dish
« on: January 01, 2018, 05:49:05 pm »
Hello All!
I am new to the site. I have spent hours researching this piece and cannot find anything similar.  The keywords are bringing up everything but antique or anything close to description.

Would really appreciate any input.

Nautical theme
Scalloped edges
Raised images, mountains, boats, sun rays, also bottom side of dish with symbols.
Sun is inverted or pressed in
Measures approximately 9 1/2" w x  2 3/4" h
No signature
Cobalt blue, tan/creme, brown, black green colors with bronze hues.

Not sure how to load more photos from phone.

It's a beautiful piece by a very talented unknown artist.
Anyone have any ideas on artist or value?
All input appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:01:29 pm by Asheets72 »

Asheets72

• View Profile
Re: Pottery dish
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:57:04 pm »
Tried to load 6 photos via phone and apparently only loaded last one. Being new, will have to figure out how to load the rest.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:49:06 pm by Asheets72 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:12:56 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the group !!  Dealing with art pottery is not an easy task !!  Sometimes what the pottery is about is only known by that potter,,not the rest of the world !!  If it was made by an independent potter (which is whai I suspect) there may not be any others you can compare to !!  Even as  a hobbyist you can buy green ware and add/finish the way you want !! 
The masted ships appear to be underwater,,is that correct ??

Asheets72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:19:53 pm »
Thanks for your reply and welcome, so glad to find this forum.
I agree, may not find a comparison, very talented artist, obviously an antique, and  the work is very detailed. I can't find similar symbols (bottom of dish). The masted ships are not underwater, but the mountains more prominent, as well as, the symbols underside of dish.
Very interesting piece.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 03:33:40 am »
Hello,

Could take a more detailed picture of the bottom with the symbols please.  I'm wondering if they represent Native American symbols such as the men (life), arrow (protection), triangle (housing), male/female (fertility), etc.

Thank you!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 05:33:41 am »
It looks to me like a piece of Majolica, …………. like so

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:52:07 am »
I agree with Cogar,, it does look like majolica !!  Can you take a pic showing the entire back but as close as you can get it ??  The lack of uniformity tell me that its possible that the back side may have been intended to be the front at some point and the piece was flipped and re-done !!  Hard to tell without getting a close look at the whole thing !!  Not sure its as old as you may think !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 04:37:45 pm »
I've never been there, but the scene is what I would expect the Bay of Naples to look like maybe. ???

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4174/34434383376_0e22c642fd_b.jpg

Asheets72

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 05:54:04 pm »
I have added a few more photo's via phone. Seems to have added them to original post.
Thank you all for responding. I appreciate you input.  Will look into Majolica. I've never seen a piece like this, very intrigued with symbols and artwork.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 07:36:19 pm »
Not sure where exactly but I also thought Italy !!  The smooth blank places on the back would tell me that my theory above is correct !!  This is an error piece that was re-done !!  Small independent potters or hobbyists would not discard,, just flip and re-make !!

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 08:48:18 pm »
Not sure where exactly but I also thought Italy !!  The smooth blank places on the back would tell me that my theory above is correct !!  This is an error piece that was re-done !!  Small independent potters or hobbyists would not discard,, just flip and re-make !!

Thank you Mart!  I kept saying these lil men and other symbols do not belong here!

Asheets72

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 09:03:29 pm »
 A very odd piece indeed. The top of the dish is so distinct and a true work of art, but the bottom made me question this whole piece. The symbols, the flat area's, couldn't walk away from it, bought it at a yard sale for $3! Love it, but wish I knew what the symbols on the back mean. I thought native american, then aztec, then italian and even greek, but the symbols don't match up.  Searches keep coming up with asian art, but does not match with the symbols. That is what has perplexed me.  No markings, stamps or signatures.

Thank you all for giving feedback, really appreciate your time and input.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 11:16:26 pm »
Your pottery dish is interesting and a great find at a yard sale!  I have some Majolica pieces displayed in my home.  While I'm a painter at heart, I have a fondness for glass and pottery.  In regards to the symbols on your dish, there are charts with some American Indian symbols and their meanings which is what I referred to previously (in my first response). 

Below is one such chart, but there are others and I'll provide that link as well.  Sometimes the symbols are a bit different but the meaning is basically the same.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=american+indian+symbols&qpvt=american+indian+symbols&FORM=IGRE

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 01:42:39 pm »
Thank you Mart!  I kept saying these lil men and other symbols do not belong here!

Lil` men is right !!  Absolutely male figures !!

Asheets72

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 05:16:53 pm »
Thank you SophieMarie!