Author Topic: Antique Hand Knotted Room Size Rug Oriental,Persian  (Read 1812 times)

susiecat

• View Profile
Antique Hand Knotted Room Size Rug Oriental,Persian
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:42:59 pm »
Another storage find large room size rug all wool measure 124"x97.2",hand knotted.I'm not sure if it's a Persian or oriental anybody know

Pelady

• View Profile
Re: Antique Hand Knotted Room Size Rug Oriental,Persian
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:29:22 pm »
This Is a great link that shows you the notting of handmade Persian or Oriental rugs. https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+the+back+of+oriental+rugs&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS656US657&oq=images+of+the+back+of+oriental+rugs&aqs=chrome..69i57.3246j0j8&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=UMQAsmm7bthWFM:

Your rug appears to be machine made because of how even the stitches are.  I bet it would cost more to clean this than you could get for it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:14:36 pm by Pelady »
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

susiecat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:16:56 pm »
Pelady,maybe it's my camera but no they are not even at all.It's like a handmade quilt,uneven.All the stitch are not even.Is this a Persian or oriental rug.

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:48:03 pm »
The only significant difference between a Persian rug and an Oriental rug is the location in which the rug was constructed.  All Persian rugs are made in Iran.  Are there any tags, markings, embroidered markings on the back?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:09:22 pm »
Not super knowledgeable on this, but I'd say that yes, it is handmade but I don't think it's especially old. The somewhat simplified pattern and brighter colors make me think that this is pretty new; perhaps it was made by women and/or children in Iran (latter-day Persia), Iraq or Afghanistan. I imagine that its rather heavy and due to the size, probably worth several hundred $ U.S. I've heard that "Persian" rugs have retained some degree of popularity, at least more than most antiques, so it definitely has some worth. Just don't look for it to have the mega$$$ resale that some of the antique rugs have.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

susiecat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 12:00:23 am »
No tags,or names that I can see Pelady

susiecat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 12:02:33 am »
ghopper 1924,I bought out a storage that was once owned by an antique dealer,but not sure of age,I assumed because he was an antique dealer it was old.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 05:03:10 am »
ghopper 1924,I bought out a storage that was once owned by an antique dealer,but not sure of age,I assumed because he was an antique dealer it was old.

I get that, but I would still say that the rug is less than 50 years old. Very nice, and still worth a chunk of $.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 06:50:37 am »
This Is a great link that shows you the nodding of handmade Persian or Oriental rugs. https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+the+back+of+oriental+rugs&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS656US657&oq=images+of+the+back+of+oriental+rugs&aqs=chrome..69i57.3246j0j8&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=UMQAsmm7bthWFM:

Your rug appears to be machine made because of how even the stitches are.  I bet it would cost more to clean this than you could get for it.

Pelady is right,, the rug is machine made !!

http://www.loveyourrug.ca/area-rug-blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/handmade-oriental-rug-closeup.jpg

Just because its machine made does not mean its a bad rug,,just made differently !!  The stitches on the back of your rug are lock stitches !!  That is the thread is pulled through a loop at the back of each stitch !!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:09:16 am by mart »

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 03:37:26 pm »
I think your best bet is to google oriental  rug dealers in your area.  Send them photos and ask if they can identify the age, origin, style, etcetera ...
I had a beautiful @ 12ft by 10ft Oriental that my  mother purchased in the 1980s for over $4000. When cleaning out her house I tried to have 3 local auction houses take it.  I offered it to antique dealers.  I put it on craigslist. Nobody wanted it. I gave it to a cousin.  He spent @ $400 to $500 bucks to have it picked up, cleaned, delivered to his address.

Hopefully, you will have more success!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 09:02:12 pm »
Looks machine made to me as well!  The white threads are soooo evenly spaced!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

susiecat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 06:11:36 pm »
Thanks to all for your information.